The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restricting reseller resources

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by argamak, Nov 25, 2011.

1. argamak

argamak Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I've been looking all over this forum and in the docs but I haven't found a real conclusion to this. I've set up a reseller on a package with 20GB quota (overselling enabled, BW limits and account creation limits apply also). Now I see his diskspace usage is about 35GB, with half of it used up by his own account/package and the other half by packages he has created (resellername_package) and which are allocated a total of 120GB.
    Now I wonder, what is the normal behavior and what are the actual limits? Can he use up 20GB for his own account plus an additional 20GB physical space for resold accounts? Is there any limit on resold accounts except the given number (in this case 125, which at the same rate would fill up the whole server for a lump sum)? If this is a bug how can it be corrected/fixed (/scripts/fixquotas just returns the 20GB limit for the reseller package)? :confused:

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The reseller's account is included as part of the total allowed disk space quota and any other limits. This means that if the reseller puts 20GB onto his own account, he will then not be able to add data for any other users.

3. argamak

argamak Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for the reply. But how did they manage to create accounts that are almost twice the size of the allocated quota? Has this happened when quotas were off as it often happens after an upgrade? And what can I do now to cut them back (there are many account backups in the various home directories? What is the best way to prevent something similar to happen again?

4. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You've allowed overselling, so do those accounts actually have that real usage? Overselling means they can create accounts above the quota, but they cannot use over the total amount they have allotted.

5. argamak

argamak Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm aware of the concept of overselling. Their current physical disk usage is about 29GB (instead of 20GB) while their packages amount to about 150GB overall (virtually). I'm wondering about the glitch that made this possible?

6. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I suggest opening up a ticket for us to troubleshoot it further to see what might have caused it. WHM > Support Center > Contact cPanel or using the link in my signature could be used for opening up a ticket. Please post the ticket number here after one has been sent. Thanks!

7. argamak

argamak Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for the suggestion. Right now I see the necessity to upgrade the client anyway but will keep you updated in case the issue arises again.

8. argamak

argamak Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The ticket ID is 2035730.