The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retain backups on Amazon S3 only

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by glauco, Aug 2, 2016.

1. glauco

glauco Member

I don't know if something has changed since the latest cPanel update or if I'm missing some configuration steps.

It used to be that when I set automatic backups to be retained for 1 week on my server, they would still be retained indefinitely on Amazon S3 until I manually deleted them. This suited me perfectly as I have limited storage on my VPS but limitless on Amazon and I need to keep at least 6 weeks worth of backups.

What I am now finding, since I migrated my VPS and updated cPanel, is that Amazon backups are completely synced with my VPS ones, so they get deleted weekly as well.

Is there a way to change this, I can't see any setting on the cPanel backup screen for changing this unwanted behaviour.

Thanks for any help.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. glauco

glauco Member

Ok thanks, I enabled bucket Versioning in S3, which (as I understand it) will automatically save previous versions of my backup files, then I set a deletion time of 180 days for previous versions. Now waiting to see if it all works.

Great stuff!

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator