The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retreive all emails and password of server

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by PHPEcono, Jan 28, 2011.

1. PHPEcono

PHPEcono Active Member

Hey guys!
    I have 2 servers. One is Plesk and one is Cpanel. On my Plesk server wehn i log by SSH theres a command line i can use that gives me a complete list of all emails accounts and passwords. It looks like this:

mysql -uadmin -p` cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` -Dpsa -e"select mail_name,name,password from mail left join domains on mail.dom_id = domains.id inner join accounts where mail.account_id = accounts.id;"

It returns a very big log that looks like this:

+-----------------------+------------------------------------+------------------------------------+
    | mail_name | name | password |
    +-----------------------+------------------------------------+------------------------------------+
    | ****** | ********** | ******* |

Does cpanel have a command like that as well? I really need it. We have 376 clients on the cpanel server and we have at least 1 call per day asking us what there password is. Only thing we can do is reset the password.

2. garrettp

garrettp Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I didn't realize Plesk stores passwords in plaintext and if it really does like you're describing...*shudder*.

To answer your question: No, cPanel only stores one-way hashed passwords.

3. PenguinInternet

PenguinInternet Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Yep, Plesk has always done this, hence a very good reason for never using it!

4. PHPEcono

PHPEcono Active Member

Ah ... i see ... I guess it's a good thing ... ... But it would of been very handy ... :(

5. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello PHPEcono,

Of note, you can log into individual email user accounts with the cPanel user if you set the following in WHM > Tweak Settings:

Thus, if you have the cPanel password for the account, you can then log into each individual email account if you set the above in Tweak Settings. The domain owner is the owner of the domain (the cPanel user basically). This might come in handy if you have a user who needs you to troubleshoot some mail issues for an email account and they do not have the email account owner's password. You'd simply need that cPanel user's password in order to then log into the email (webmail) to check any errors that are there.

Thanks.