The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Return Mail Using Hostname Instead of Domain Name

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Digital Pure, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Digital Pure

Digital Pure Registered

Mar 18, 2008
    Washignton DC, USA
    I have a weird problem and am hoping that I can get it resolved here. I will be upfront and state that I am not a very good server admin, but am willing to learn so please understand that when providing an answer. Also, if this has already been posted on the forums, please just link me over to that post. I did search first, but did not find an answer.

Ok, here is the problem. I have a server running cpanel 11.23 and I am running a cms on the server that sends mail out using the php mail function.

Everyday I get about 5-10 bounce emails and the return address is instead of

Now, I have put a -f flag into the mail function, and it seems to work for most items, but it is breaking the contact forms as the extra variable is not recognized, and is causing a email loop.

So, my question is, how can I tell exim, apache etc to ALWAYS send mail from the domain, and never from the hostname (I understand system messages such as cron, logs etc will come from hostname).

I am hoping to find a solution, as my clients are getting frustrated when they do not get the notices, and their customers come back to them asking where the emails are.

Please feel free to ask any questions you want, and I will do my best to answer them.