estoresite

Jun 24, 2018
Canada
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi Y'all,

I haven't seen anyone else with this issue, resolved or otherwise and, I haven't been able to figure it out myself.

I have recently migrated from an old VPS to a new VPS with a different hosting company.

The problem I'm seeing is that, when I view mail headers of email sent from the server, to my gmail account (other than SMTP), such as PHPMail from Wordpress sites & system emails from the server, I'm seeing;

spf=neutral (google.com: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of [email protected]) [email protected]

- instead of -

spf=pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx as permitted sender) [email protected]

..and the return path line reads as;

Return-Path: <[email protected]>

- instead of

Return-Path: <[email protected]>

See how the "domain.tld" is missing from the hostname in the email headers?

I'm thinking there has to be something in the VPS setup that my previous host had configured for me, that my current host has not configured for me.

I've combed through WHM settings and can't figure out what I need to do to correct this.

Any ideas?

My server is;

Linux
EasyApache4
CENTOS 7.5
cPanel/WHM v72.0.7

Thanks in advance.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hi @estoresite

On the server that's just showing up as "vps" can you run the following:

Code:
hostname
and reply here with the output? What it looks like is though you may have set your hostname at some point it reverted back to just vps - this typically occurs after a restart.

Thanks!

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hi @estoresite

Great! I'm glad that fixed the issue. I would suggest if it is a VZ server that you request your provider (if you don't have access to the host node) change the container name to your hostname so that this doesn't occur after every restart - at least this is what I've been told resolves the issue. The advice given by @dalem will also work.

Thanks!

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston

dalem

PartnerNOC
Oct 24, 2003
SLC
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
We never have issues with XEN Just OpenVZ
Do not know your providers infrastructure,
But its possible that the hostname is set to VPS and at every reboot it sets the
network settings and hostname.
If you have access to a panel to set the hostname or your provider you can change it permanently.

if not my rc.local solution works