The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

reverse DNS - not sure what to do

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by chadi, Jul 13, 2004.

1. chadi

chadi BANNED

I requested reverse DNS setup on my server and my datacenter responded with this:

I've set up the following reverse zones, and subdelegated them to your servers:

48/11.111.1.1.in-addr.arpa

208/11.111.1.11.in-addr.arpa

Create the zones named above. For each IP in the respective block, prepend the low-order (right-most) octet of the IP address to the zone name. It looks strange, but it is correct.

Note: I replaced the actual IP's with "1" instead for obvious reasons.

Anyway, what on earth should I do here exactly? I know I have to click on "add a dns zone" in WHm but it asks for an IP address and a domain name. I'm lost here.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

3. chadi

chadi BANNED

That simple search didn't help as far as what the dc said.

They said something different.

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

5. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

Then why don't you ask them for help, or post your request at the "real deal hosting community board"? Maybe they will give you a answer you are willing to accept.

6. chadi

chadi BANNED

Your reply served no purpose and you quoting my signature is of no use whatsoever so please don't reply if you cannot help ok?

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I'm confused. The post I directed you to tells you exactly what to do. You're not going to get any more than that :rolleyes:

8. peddler

peddler Active Member

Just another example of some folks expecting everything done for them and then whining when someone doesn't actually log into their server and do it for them (for free).

The problem here is that there are lots of folks that really appreciate the help that others give, but when people start complaining, those that share their knowledge will just stop doing so. Thankfully, I don't require lots of assistance, but I'm very pleased that others will chime in and help those that do.

Once again, there are people in over their heads and truly need professional admin help, but for whatever reason, refuse to get it.

Just my thoughts...

9. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

Actually it did serve a purpose. Two of them in fact. It allowed me to vent a little after seeing your ad and offers post promoting your new "real deal" forums, and it was bringing to light the fact that the answer has already been posted for you.

I won't go into the venting issue, because that is a personal matter and has no business on these forums. Suffice it to say that I simply choose to ignore your support requests. Feel free to reciprocate.

Sure I could have worded my reply a little nicer. Maybe something along the lines of "Chad, the thread Chirpy referenced gives rather detailed instructions on configuring reverse DNS entries. If you follow that thread you should be OK."? Either way the message is there regardless of the delivery. Look again.

Good luck with your RDNS and PTR issues. Have a nice day. :)

10. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I can only agree, though sometimes I wonder whether one should omit the word "admin" from that sentence at times.

I'm often bewildered that some people go and buy a server with a shiny control panel and then load customers onto it. Then they discover thet you can't do everything from the control panel. Oh, there's a shell prompt, what's that for?

OK, I'm not saying that this is the case here (this is my vent now ;)) but I'd go as far to say that 99.9% of the posts that I help (and where has that top 10 posters gone? I was about 15 posts from getting onto it!) with here I've previously found the answer myself on the first or second page of a Google search and a bit of investigation.

Ah, a nice cup of tea. I'll go back to the View New Posts.

11. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you. In the last year it's been going crazy. Servers are getting so cheap, and people are getting the impression that anyone can run it, and therefore thousands of people are jumping in and hoping it's an easy job. As you said, many of them don't even know what a shell prompt is.

Go to the members link, then click on the post link above the posts column. ;) You're #10 now.