The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reverse DNS Question

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by myeddie7, Dec 3, 2011.

1. myeddie7

myeddie7 Member

Hi,
    Recently, we have moved to a new datacenter. We have a rDNS problem. When we asked the datacenter to make the setting, they ask us to contact the registrar to do it. We have contacted the registrar, and they said the reverse DNS setting cannot be done in registrar part.

So, the question is : How do I setup the rDNS, if it cannot be done in registrar (place to buy/register the domain) and datacenter ? because we use both cPanel & directadmin, and even we have already created the PTR, but when we look in DNS tools, it still shows 'ERROR: No reverse DNS (PTR) entries'.

Hope, someone can guide me on how to solve this problem.

Thanks

2. NixTree

NixTree Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The rDNS of an IP is created by the owner of the particualr IP, normally the DC. If you are using co-located facility and purchased an IP block from your provider, it is your responsibility to configure the rDNS zone.

The domain registrar has no part in setting up the reveser DNS normally.

So if your IP is actaully owned by your DC, ask them to set it up or request them an explantion why they can't do it!

Thank you,
    Nibin.

3. myeddie7

myeddie7 Member

Thanks for your reply.

FYI, the new DC said, they cannot do it. According to them, if they make the setting, it will only be visible in their local network, but not visible in public/outside.

I am very confused, because I have already created the PTR record in the server, (like 4.3.2.1.in-addr.arpa), but it's not working.

FYI, with our previous DC, we only made a request, and the DC did it for us without any problem. I'm not sure, why the new DC can't do it.

Thanks

4. rgpayne

rgpayne Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need to change DC becuase it sounds like the DC is really not "THE DC"

5. storminternet

storminternet Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi myeddie7,
    Indeed it is true. This is very basic setting which do offer at every datacenter. You need to look for new DC.

6. myeddie7

myeddie7 Member

FYI, they are a new DC :)

Is there any step-by-step guidelines to do that, so that I can pass it on to them?

BR,
    Eddie

7. storminternet

storminternet Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    They must be aware about these settings. For the rDNS setup please ask them to search in google and they will have some good tutorials.

8. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Is the IP they provided a local IP for a NAT rather than a public IP? Who is providing your public facing IP for the machine? Whoever is providing this IP controls the IP zone file for it. If you can provide the IP number to us, we can look up who owns the IP. Otherwise, you can check who owns the IP using this location:

Domain Dossier - Investigate domains and IP addresses, get owner and registrar information, see whois and DNS records

Change google.com to your actual IP address, which will output the Network Whois information. The owner listed controls your public IP. Again, you must use the public IP that is licensed for cPanel rather than any private IP in that area to see the owner.

Please note that whoever does control the IP should be able to create an IP zone file similar to discussed in our documentation:

http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/view/11_25/WHMDocs/RdnsForBind

9. myeddie7

myeddie7 Member

The IP does belong to our new datacenter.

They have just contacted me, saying that they need first to activate their DNS/nameserver, bla.. bla..bla...etc, which need around 2 weeks to complete.

I will come back & ask again, if I need further help.

BR,
    Eddie