The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reverse Dns

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by mnmhere, Jan 14, 2010.

1. mnmhere

mnmhere Registered

Hi,

I have a VPS and I have about 15 domains hosted on it. I have a problem receiving emails from a certain domain. Whenever they try to send me an email they get a "temporary dns error". It might be due to Reverse resource
    records (PTR) as it fails when i check it on howismydns.com. I see that the PTR record is pointing to my main account and not any of those other 14 domains.

Is there a way to individually setup PTR records so that I don't have problems like this?

2. JawadArshad

JawadArshad Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Contact your host who provided you the IP and they should help you setup rDNS. If all domains are using main server IP, your hostname should ideally point to the main exim IP and IP should reverse map to the hostname to complete the loop. I have seen multiple rDNS records for a single IP but not sure if that's a practical thing. You can set all domains to send emails using their different IPs and then have all IPs point to their respective domain name in rDNS record.