The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reverse lookup and DNS ?'s

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Networkologist, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Networkologist

Networkologist Well-Known Member

I'm DNS challenged and among other things, having moved from ensim to WHM I am trying to make certain I have my settings in WHM as they should be.

A few of things I'm confused about, so far. The first is at dnsreport a reverse lookup of my main IP with rackshack returns:

Answer:
    207.44.xxx.xx PTR record: mail.xxxxxxx.com. [TTL 38400s] [A=None] *ERROR* A record does not point back to original IP. Shouldn't this be my hostname? Which is secure.xxxxxxx.com

Two entries in WHM DNS zones are empty. Mail and localhost. What should these have, if anything.

A name base site that appears to have propagated can not be reached and mail server can not be found.

Update - In Horde I can see the mail. Does this mean the root name servers still haven't been updated with the records?

And finally, I am using a .us domain and two of my ip's for my name servers. DNSreport says this can be the cause of no Glue at parent nameservers. Is this going to cause any problems for me or my clients?

TIA

#1 Networkologist, Mar 16, 2003
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2003
  2. NeutralGold

NeutralGold Well-Known Member

Well, I can address the dns reverse lookup for you, and maybe help with the domain name that seems to of propagated as I last month moved from ensim to cpanel.
    Are you currently using rackshack? If so the answer to the reverse dns lookup is to submit a trouble ticket. Ask excactly like this
    I would like these ips givin a reverse dns record.
    The ips are tied to 1 domain name and used as name servers
    000.00.00.000 = ns1.domain.com
    000.00.000.00 = ns2.domain.com
    the domain name alone is domain.com
    That is about as clear as you can get to those guys, I submitted 3 tickets, each of them had enough info for them to add the records but obviously because they didnt pay that much attention to what i wanted I had to make sure it was very clear. All they needed was the name server address but obviously they needed it spelled out for them, anyways as for the domain propogation thing, i had an account that took 9 days befor it finally starting showing, if you have accounts that are currently working than this is most likely the case, The domain rested at the old server for 2 days, then it didnt resolve to anything at all for 7 days after that. Finally it all of the sudden started working. That was a registrar problem and if thats your case just wait it out and be patient and not freak out like i was. the domain was not responding to anything at all.
    Hope fully some of this will help you.
    reguards

3. Networkologist

I really think its exim

Thanks NeutralGold.

This is keeping me from moving my accounts over.

Here's the weird thing(s). An hour ago I changed the settings in OL from mail.domain.com to domain.com. It then prompted me for a password! What worked, for a little while :mad: was changing the account name on the servers tab - not the general tab which was already set to user@domain.com from user to user@domain.com. It worked. I was able to send and receive.

Took a break and came back and tried it again and now its back to giving me -arrrgghhhh I just noticed OL checking for mail and I was watching as it connected!!!??

I changed it back to mail.domain.com and it failed. Now it works with mail.domain.com.

What's going on?

So here's where it stands now.

I can send mail using the account and it is received. Mail I send to the account using my isp or a domain that is not on the server is not received.

It is received if I send it from an account that is on the server.

If I login to NeoMail there are 0 messages.

Oh. One more thing. The Mail entry in WHM. Should that have any of the fields filled in? 'Cause there not.

BTW - I did have RS add the pointers over a month.

4. NeutralGold

NeutralGold Well-Known Member

Seems to be very confusing, If you would like, I will have a look for you if you dont mind giving access to strangers ;) . Allthough I might not be as helpful as most of these other guys considering I've only been using WHM/CPanel for a little over a month now. But I managed to get everyone moved from ensim to cpanel with very little problems. I will keep checking back, just leave me a private message and I'll see if I can help you

5. Networkologist

It seems to be working now

Occasionally it says it can't find the server.

Will donate to your favorite charity if anyone can tell me what if anything should be in WHM > Edit DNS > Mail :confused:

6. Juanra

Juanra Well-Known Member

Re: It seems to be working now

cd /var/named
    mkdir muahaha

Now go to WHM > Edit DNS and see muahaha among your zones :p

7. Networkologist

Yeah but,

A few of things I'm confused about, so far. The first is at dnsreport a reverse lookup of my main IP with rackshack returns:
    Answer:
    207.44.xxx.xx PTR record: mail.xxxxxxx.com. [TTL 38400s] [A=None] *ERROR* A record does not point back to original IP. Shouldn't this be my hostname? Which is secure.xxxxxxx.com

Why does the WHM genie add a Mail entery if'n it aint of no yous? :p

8. Juanra

Juanra Well-Known Member

Yes I think so. You should ask Rackshack support to correct the reverse DNS entry for that IP and make it point to your server's hostname.

I think it's just the mail directory of user "named", whose homedir happens to be /var/named. I don't know if this is created by the Linux distro or by WHM.

9. Networkologist

But I didn't $ay how much!

OK.

So what's your favorite charity. And it can't be you ;)

10. redhatguy

redhatguy Member

I too think the same