The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rewrite Exim "From" to "BCC"

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Karateka, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Karateka

Karateka Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hi,

I wonder if somebody could shed some light on whether it is possible to rewrite the From field of an outbound message to the BCC field on certain domains.

Example:
    anyuser@anyexternaldomain.com sends a message to abc@internaldomain.com, for the BCC field he uses user1@internaldomain.com

Exim then rewrites the the From field of the message from anyuser@anyexternaldomain.com to the value of the BCC (user1@internaldomain.com) before the message is processed through /etc/valiases

I came across Exim Specification - 33 Address rewriting, but I don't see how I would fetch the value of the BCC field in the rewrite.

Any pointers are appreciated. Ideally, if you could show an example, you'd make my day! :)

2. Karateka

Karateka Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

maybe this rephrasing helps to understand the issue?

We have a subscription network with members who need to send messages to each other anonymously. There is an internal messaging system in place but it's problematic for certain member configurations. We decided to let them communicate with each other using their own email and email clients, however each member's true email must remain undisclosed. We have a forwarding list in place which works fine, it's simple - member_number@domain.com: true_email@anotherdomain.com, so if you send and email to member_number@domain.com it will be redirected to true_email@anotherdomain.com, but your true email will be visible as the sender to the member you send it to, which is normal because your email client provides this information. In theory Exim is capable of rewriting the email headers and replacing the FROM before delivering the message - this is what we're trying to accomplish, so when member A sends an email to member B, member B will see as sender member_number_A@domain.com and when member B replies (using his own email client), member A will receive a message from member_number_B@domain.com. I know I can easily modify the email header info with PHP but I want to avoid using a web form and do this simply through a mailto link and have Exim change the FROM before sending.