The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RHEL 3 vs. 4 - any preference or major difference?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Metro2, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Metro2

Metro2 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I currently have one dedicated server running RHEL 3 (with cPanel/WHM of course) because at the time I ordered it my data center recommended it. Now I'm in the process of getting another server and my data center now recommends RHEL 4 instead, and I'm curious to know what other users here think in terms of:
    - Have you noticed any major differences or challenges with 4 as opposed to 3?
    - Are there any catches to take into account as far as maintenance or operations?
    - Are there any major benefits to going with 4, or should I stick with 3 if I'm comfortable with that?

Thanks very much for your opinions!

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Major difference is that RHE4 uses the 2.6 kernel, whereas RHE3 uses the 2.4 kernel

None

It's worth using RHE4 for the 2.6 kernel which tends to be faster and supports newer hardware.

From a support perspective, both OS's will keep support from RedHat for many years to come, but since RHE4 is newer, its support before EOL will be longer.

3. Metro2

Metro2 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks chirpy!