The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RHEL 4 Beta 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by brendanm, Dec 4, 2004.

1. brendanm

brendanm Member

Will Cpanel install and run properly with RHEL 4 Beta 2 which has the 2.6.9 Kernal. Has anyone does this? Had any issues?

2. haze

haze Well-Known Member

I very much doubt it would work. For one, its based off of fedora core 3, which cpanel has yet to support ( if ever they do ). Secondly, the beta, may be completely different from that which is officially released by redhat, and from the redhat mailing list, once you install it, you can not switch to the full regular version when it is released.

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Ouch! Considering RH are going to be supporting RHE3 for many years to come, it would seem sensible to me to stick with RHE3/CentOS until RHE4 is a proven stable platform with full support. Leaping onto the bleeding edge is never a good idea for a web server.

4. brendanm

brendanm Member

I have no choice, the server is a dual xeon and i am having that IOWAIT issue with both Centos 3.3 and RHEL 3. So i need to get to the 2.6.9 Kernel.

5. cPanelBilly

cPanelBilly Guest

We are currently testing FC3 internally. There are some issues with the new SELinux that is now turned on by default.
    RHEL4 will be looked into when it goes into a stable release. Beta releases tend to change dramastically and we will wait until most of the changes are done.

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You can run the 2.6.* kernels on RHE3. Are you using the very latest RHE3 kernel on your dual xeons with the kernel variable patch, and still have the IOWAIT problem?

7. brendanm

brendanm Member

I am running the very latest Kernel for Centos the 2.4.20. I didn't do anything other than upgrade the kernel, so if the variable patch is included in that then yes i have it, if not no i don't have the variable patch. But i am still having IOWAIT issues.

Any suggestions?

I have 2 people try to compile the 2.6.9 Kernel from Kernel.org on it and both failed.

8. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

This is the proc patch, you can do it on a running system and also put the commands into /etc/rc.d/rc.local if they help so that they're run again on startup:

echo 100 > /proc/sys/vm/inactive_clean_percent
    echo 2 10 20 > /proc/sys/vm/pagecache

If that's no help, I believe that rack911.com do 2.6.9 kernel builds. Either contact TheLinuxGuy on these forums:
    http://forums.cpanel.net/member.php?userid=19910

Or have a look at their site:
    http://www.rack911.com/security.php

9. amal

amal Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    SELinux.

The main problem with the FC3 is the enabling of SE linux by default. Will cpanel work on FC3 or RHEL 4 Beta 2, if we turn off SELINUX using the command -

setenforce 0
    ( Or, we can turn it off at boot time by editing the /etc/selinux/config file, and rebooting the system. )

If anyone has tried it, please let me know...

Thanks.. :)

10. Blue|Fusion

Blue|Fusion Well-Known Member

I am running FC3 on 2 cpanel boxes with no problem. Before upgrading (using yum), one was running RH9 and the other FC1. When yum upgraded, selinux wasn't installed, so I would assume that is a good thing as you say you would need to disable it anyway.