The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RHEL 5 - 32bit v 64bit running cpanel 11 for hosting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by neil_rutherford, Jul 8, 2008.

1. neil_rutherford

As cPanel is an integral part of server hosting and has the ability of compiling
    Apache 1.3.x with PHP4 (cgi) and PHP5 (dso) on your server OS.

Does anyone know or have baselines/benchmarks for which performs better
    generally for hosting: 32bit or 64bit RedHat 5 when cPanel 11 has compiled for the Apache and php mentioned above on either of these OS editions? (assume latest versions of apache/php4/5)

I was wondering if 32bit performed better or 64bit on a quad core Xeon.
    Don't forget PHP is compiled for prefork and not multi-threading for Apache 1.3.41 (which are considered legacy 32bit forked apps compiled against 64bit OS).

Or rephrased, could i be hampering performance by running it on a 64bit OS on a Xeon (X3210) or improving performance?
    I'd assume 64bit would offer better all round processing power, or is this
    a misconception.

I recently decided to get a server on RedHat Enterprise 5 X86_64 (64bit),
    when i wondered if 32bit version would have provided better performance
    and been the better options for compatibility.

2. koolcards

koolcards Well-Known Member

Disclaimer: This is just my opinion, natch ;)

A: don't run anything on an AMD
    B: the X3210 maxes out at 2.66mHz while a Intel Q6600 out benches even the Xeon 3.2 and is still lots cheaper.

64-bit will normally show an performance increase but it can depend on the other software and what you're doing with the machine. A 64-bit kernel with Apache2, MySQL (which was designed for 64-bit), and a decent 64-bit OS (I prefer CentOS 'cause it's free) on the right hardware, with enough RAM, will pretty well achieve it's maximum potential. But, if your server isn't used hard, you my not see the difference.

Years ago I took a single site machine that was crashing under it's load (3/4 million member vbulletin script) and upgraded it to SuSe 64-bit kernel, Apache2, MySQL, etc and it ran great for years.

Intensive MySQL usage will benefit the most from 64-bit but I think the whole machine runs smoother.

3. neil_rutherford

Thanks for your feedback.

RHEL5 64bit came free with the server on RAID10, and CENTOS was the other option, i went with Redhat.
    The server has already been leased and is in a data centre in the US,
    it can't be clocked or modified.
    I was wondering if i should have played it safe and gone with 32bit initially...
    i jumped in and took the risk. Then i started to wonder if i'd made the right
    move.
    Do you recommend i recompile Apache 2.0.x or Apache 2.2.x? I need PHP 4 as cgi for now for sites that are migrating to php5. cPanel easyapache recommended Apache 1.3.x for PHP4 (cgi) and PHP5 (dso) together, on 64bit,
    i wondered if i'd made the right move for this config. It compiled ok, but noticed the 64bit server has 32bit and 64bit versions of the same libraries,
    and 32 bit are compiled in on some occasions.

So the key is, scalability (under stress).

#3 neil_rutherford, Jul 8, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  4. koolcards

X86_64 AMD with RAID10? Not a clue what that will do to your performance but make sure you have plenty of RAM ;) Next time go w/Intel and RAID5 is all you'll ever need (and even that has problems)

My suggestion would be to make sure your Perl is updated and go with Apache 2.2.8 with php4 as CGI and PHP5 DSO ( I use this configuration now). It's selectable from with the users cPanel interfaces and, while you take a little hit on the PHP4 stuff, it's not bad and PHP5 works well for most scripts (leave 5 as the default). Look up some of the differences though (probably through these forums or php.net) in the way PHP5 works with .htaccess and user's php.ini files. There are differences.

5. neil_rutherford

X86_64 INTEL (on the Xeon). V5 it appears to be standard for 64bit naming, prior was it I64??. Quad Core Intel Xeon X3210, 2GB RAM, 4x250GB SATA (RAID10) on 64bit RHEL 5.
    I have no issues with PHP4 and 5, just wasn't sure on Apache 1.3 v 2.0.x v 2.2.x with PHP4 and PHP5 together. I'll give it a try.

6. koolcards

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64
    Sorry, I confuse easily, the Intel 64 is a clone of the AMD X86-64. :D

But the Xeon X3210 2.13 GHz Quad Core Processor I found on the overclocked chart:
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/overclocked_cpus.html
    http://techgage.com/article/intel_xeon_x3210_213ghz_quad-core_b3-revision/
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Anyway, good luck with it. ;)