The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ridiculous. Less than 10% of people enter in their e-mail address in Cpanel.

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by nat, Feb 2, 2004.

1. nat

nat Well-Known Member

Ridiculous. Less than 10% of people enter in their e-mail address in Cpanel.

Many important automatic notifications are sent to that e-mail address. Nearly nobody enters in their e-mail address and then start yelling when they go over bandwidth allowance without being notified or when no password reset confirmation is e-mailed to them. I would like to see an option to force users to add their e-mail address the first time they login to cpanel like plesk does.

Or maybe it can ge done by the Skin using java script.

2. The MAzTER

The MAzTER Well-Known Member

i agree with this

3. mr.wonderful

mr.wonderful BANNED

I agree. The catch all thing thats setup by default is really a pain. There should be no catch all email address set by default unless the user wants it. All users should be forced to enter valid email addressess.

The ohter issue is that when email is forwarded by the user ot external email address like hotmail, those messages are still stored on the server and plug up the inbox forcing the user to clean out the mail box periodically.

Store and forward: Stores the msg on the server then forwards it as is the case when a user creates and email address and forwards the msg using forwarders.

No store and forward: When a user simply forwards their email address without setting up email addressess in CPanel.

4. cyon

cyon Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

great idea!

a popup would be nice wich appears when the user hasn't entered a valid e-mailadress.

5. jsteel

jsteel Well-Known Member

By default the server notifications for bandwidth and disk usage go to 'admin@domain.com'. Unless the user has configured the catch-all to fail or blackhole, and hasn't created an actual 'admin' email account, the notices will go to their admin catch-all account.

6. allenhui

allenhui Well-Known Member

I hope this features will add on in the cpanel functions as soon as possible.

7. rs-freddo

rs-freddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I love the catch-all feature and so do my clients. When used properly it's a real boon.

8. mr.wonderful

mr.wonderful BANNED

Ye, if you want to accept mail to anyuser@domain.com and get spammed but a million penis pump spam messages its a great feature. :rolleyes:

9. rs-freddo

rs-freddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Never been spammed to anyname, all spam goes to known addresses. Since spammers never use real from addresses, they never send out to "anyname" - they might as well send out to "@anydomain.anyTLD".:rolleyes:

10. Marty

Marty Well-Known Member

I have no problem with the catchall system as it is, but rs-freddo, that statement that I quoted is just not true. I have several accounts whose catchall's are full of spam being sent to email addresses that have never existed. The spammers are well aware of catchall address and no that if they find a valid domsin name on a box, then it is likely that if they don't hit an existing email address then it will go to a catchall.

11. richy

richy Well-Known Member

How about:
    * Allow site admins email address to be set on WHM account creation
    * Allow site admins email address to be modifiable via the "List Accounts" section in WHM
    * Popup and big warning on Cpanel if site admins email address not set.

(and I often have "random"@{my domains} emails - so much so, I've set a filter on my catchalls. I tend to give people email addresses such as joebloggs-cpanel@example.com so I know it's to "joebloggs" from "cpanel" and now if the email doesn't start joebloggs- it's immediately filtered).

12. Myacen

Myacen Well-Known Member

Cpanel should force them to input a email address to use it. I am also sick of it.

13. allenhui

allenhui Well-Known Member

Agree!

14. _sombra_

_sombra_ Guest

:D www.rvskin.com forces the user to enter the e-mail in a pop-up. If users do not add his e-mail, every time a link is clicked the pop-up oppens askin for e-mail.

15. cyon

cyon Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

would be a GREAT feature!

16. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Jumping on the bandwagon

I 100% agree that this should be mandatory!! Users must enter their e-mail address for contact information before using cPanel... and it should display at the top of the page:

Current Administrator e-mail address: john@doe.com

I'd rather have this listed, then show who last logged in or whatever. Otherwise, they enter in an address, then change ISPs 10 times after that, and they still don't get the notices.

Just a thought. But at least force users to enter their contact e-mail address, please!

- Scott

17. Thoreau

Thoreau Registered

If it's as persistent as that WHM popup when your nameservers aren't completely set up, I know I'd put my email address in just to shut it up.

18. RedHatSolutions

Very true...good call

19. DN-Paul

DN-Paul Well-Known Member

A note that tells them to use an off-site email address would be a good addition aswell.
    Out of the accounts on one of my servers, only 17 people have an email address entered, and out of those 17 only 4 have used an off-site email address. Using an address under the same domain as the account is a bit pointless (but people don't realise that), because if the account is suspended, then they can't access that email account to find out why, and then they go off on one at you. :rolleyes:

So, in this pop-up that asks for the email address, some javascript that checks everything after the @ in the address, if it's the same as the account's domain then it alerts them to enter an off-site address (please don't recommend that they sign up for a hotmail or yahoo account in the alert though, because most cpanel email sent to those crappy services goes to junk and never gets read).

#19 DN-Paul, Feb 5, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2004
  20. rvskin

rvskin Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

98% of our customers enter the contact address. :D

I saw that CPanel start to implement this feature to X skin on latest build.

It will be more benefit if you fix the problem with the Disk Space warning. In /var/cpanel/quotawarned, when warning sent and user mark as CRITICAL, it will be there permanently. Even the disk space is increased or usage is decreased. And user will NEVER get warning, when they reach the limit again.