The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Right Way to DNS Server Setup Using Cpanel DNS Only Version

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Omar Faruque, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Omar Faruque

Omar Faruque Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,
    At First want to say sorry about my BAD English ...hope you understand..
    I need clear instruction for setting DNS Server using Cpanel DNS Only Version .
    I would like to use 2 Server for Cpanel DNS Only Installation And Want to use
    ns1.mydomain.com ns2.mydomain.com for all of my server in future cause currently i have 1 full cpanel server that is up & running ...

What i have :
    2 VPS in 2 Datacenter one is from ENZU(Los Angeles) Another 1 is From OVH(France)
    And Currently i have 1 full cpanel installed Dedicated server in Contabo(Germany )
    My Full Cpanel Server is Hosting total 25 Domain and all are up & running .and this full cpanel server using ns1.mydomain.com ns2.mydomain.com as name server and hostname is server.mydomain.com ip is 1.1.1.1 for both name server and hostname .
    =========
    now i have installed cpanel dns only version to my 2VPS where one vps hostname is server1.mydomain.com(ip 2.2.2.2) and another vps hostname is server2.mydomain.com (ip 3.3.3.3) .

remember that i just installed cpanel dns only version i mean i did not even setup initial configuration for my newly installed cpanel dns only version ..cause before going to stup initial configuration i would like to get some help ...

What help i need :
    As i want to use ns1.mydomain.com ns2.mydomain.com for my all full cpanel server what i should use in the field of NameServer in Step 4 in initial configuration for for my 2 DNS Only Version Server ..?
    Should i use the same as Main Full Cpanel NameServer that has ns1.mydomain.com ns2.mydomain.com and in ip field which ip should i need to use , the main full cpanel ip that are automatically fill or the Current DNS Only server IP...?

=================================
    What is my domain registrar dns configuration :

i have added A record for my 3 server
    server.mydomain.com is pointed to 1.1.1.1
    server1.mydomain.com is pointed to 2.2.2.2
    server2.mydomain.com is pointed to 3.3.3.3

and
    ns1.mydomain.com is pointed to full cpanel server ip 1.1.1.1
    ns2.mydomain.com is pointed to full cpanel server ip 1.1.1.1
    =======================================

Now regarding above information how i can setup 2 DNS Only Server that will be connected to my main full cpanel server as dns cluster and if i want to add more server to that 2 DNS Only Server ,How can i use ns1.mydomain.com ns2.mydomain.com in future ..

Please help me...!!!

Hello is there anyone who knows this type of configuration or any better way to configure / if you have time then please continue to this thread , it will be so help full for me and also for other member.

#1 Omar Faruque, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2015
  2. lldeepakll

lldeepakll Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

As you mentioned you have installed cPanel DNS only on two servers. And you want to use "ns1.mydomain.com" and "ns2.mydomain.com" for your existing and new servers.

First of all enable DNS Cluster in your existing cPanel Server and add both the DNS only servers in DNS Cluster using "Add a new server to the cluster " option, you can select required option from "Synchronize Changes, Standalone and Write Only" as a DNS Role. (I am using "Synchronize Changes" on our servers).

Once both the servers added successfully, Go to "Home »DNS Functions »Synchronize DNS Records" then select "Synchronize all zones to all servers" and click on Synchronize button. It will synchronize your existing dns zones to both the DNS only servers in cluster.

As you said "ns1.mydomain.com" is currently pointing to IP of your existing cPanel server, so here what you need to do is simply change the private nameserver IP of "ns1.mydomain.com" in domain control panel and point it to one of the DNS only server. And point ns2.mydomain.com to IP of your second dns only server.

Don't forget to change the A record of ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com in dns.

For your new servers you simply need to enable dns cluster and add both the dns only server in cluster.

That's it.

Thanks

3. Omar Faruque

Omar Faruque Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:

Thank you for your reply but you did not provide details ,i mean you did not read my full post -- i describe that i just installed dns only version but did not complete initial setup yet cause i need help to set Name Server in 4th step of initial setup . I mean What Name Sever i should use (Should I need to use Full Cpanel Main Server ns1.mydomain.com ns2.mydomain.com )and which server ip i need to put inside Name Server Field and Do i need to MARK create A record options for Name Server & HostName..

For 2nd DNS Server again i need same help ..

And about DNS Clustering on main server can i able to remove DNS Software Like BIND

#3 Omar Faruque, Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  4. lldeepakll

lldeepakll Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

My Apologies.. I missed the line where you mentioned that you have just installed the dns only. Okay so in initial setup you can use ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com for nameservers. As per your current scenario (bcz ns1.mydomain.com pointing to your main cpanel server) you should not change A record or check mark on create A record option for nameservers untill the initial setup gets completed.

And later when your setup gets completed and you enabled the cluster and synchronize the dns record, you need to change the A record of ns1.mydomain.com & ns2.mydomain.com and use the IPs of your dns only servers accordingly.

Same procedure is applicable for your 2nd dns server.

No you should not/can't remove bind on main server, because if you will create a new account (Not sure if cPanel will allows you to create account after removing bind) then you have to manually create the dns zone on the dns only servers for that domain.

Thanks

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Yes, you can use "ns1.domain.com" and "ns2.domain.com" in this field. Note the following document should help:

Guide to DNS Cluster Configuration

Thank you.

6. Omar Faruque

Omar Faruque Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I have added both DNS Only Server to my main full cpanel server, now want to know that it is correct or do i have any mistake ..

I have added A record for my 3 server hostname in my Domain Registrar DNS Management Options.

server.mydomain.com is pointed to 1.1.1.1 (Full Cpanel)
    server1.mydomain.com is pointed to 2.2.2.2 (DNS Server1 )
    server2.mydomain.com is pointed to 3.3.3.3 (DNS Server2 )

now help me , What IP Should i need to use for registering Name Server in My Domain Registrar for
    ns1.mydomain.com ns2.mydomain.com

7. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You should use the same IP addresses that you used when creating the "A" records. Also, note you should create the "A" records on the cPanel hosting server (server.mydomain.com in your example) instead of at the registrar.

Thank you.

8. Omar Faruque

Omar Faruque Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Sorry for my Bad English Hope You All Understand !!!

I have added 3 A records in my Domain registrar for my 1 Full Cpanel + 2 DNS Only Server Hostname as:
    server.mydomain.com 1.1.1.1
    dns1.mydomain.com 2.2.2.2
    dns2.mydomain.com 3.3.3.3

and then i have added A record in y domain registrar for Nameserver as
    ns1.mydomain.com 1.1.1.1 (Main Server IP)
    ns2.mydomain.com 1.1.1.1 (Main Server IP)

But all 3 server Initial Setup step4 Name Server configuration i have added :
    FullCpanelServer:
    ns1.mydomain.com 1.1.1.1
    ns2.mydomain.com 1.1.1.1
    Hostname: server.mydomain.com 1.1.1.1

DNSOnly Server:
    ns1.mydomain.com 2.2.2.2
    ns2.mydomain.com 2.2.2.2
    Hostname: dns1.mydomain.com 2.2.2.2

DNSOnly Server:
    ns1.mydomain.com 3.3.3.3
    ns2.mydomain.com 3.3.3.3
    Hostname: server.mydomain.com 3.3.3.3

then from Full Cpanel Server i have added 2 Dns Only Server as DNS Culster and Select Synchronize option..

Does this will work or not ..?

9. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Please ensure you maintain the same IP address for each name server at all locations. You can use a website such as IntoDNS to verify your name servers are configured properly.

Thank you.