The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Risk of resizing partitions on production server?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by blipper, Apr 23, 2014.

1. blipper

blipper Member

I've got one centos server that we've migrated about 100 sites to, and now we've realized that the /usr partition was not sized correctly; it's too small even to handle cpanel updates. How dangerous will it be to attempt to resize? I'm thinking of reducing /home by a few gigs and adding that to /usr.

I don't want to risk any data loss.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

It's likely a better idea to migrate/backup the accounts to a remote server, and then reinstall the OS with the recommended partition scheme. Resizing the partitions on the fly is not supported, and should be handled by a qualified system administrator if you decide to take that route.

Thank you.

3. vanessa

vanessa Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    You shouldn't do this on a production server, nor is there really any reason nowadays to over-partition a system like that. Use bind mounts if you need to relocate anything, but otherwise I second @cPanelMichael's suggestion of migrating to another system.

4. lorio

lorio Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Not strictly ontopic, but migrating with email accounts is always an mega act. Since SSL/TLS the hostname as emailserver changes.

Without virtual servers or separate emailserver/cluster it isn't practical any longer. No user wants to change / understands why emailserver names has to change. I don't see a way to migrate accounts without heavily interacting with customers and their settings.