The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rogue nameserver can't be deleted

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Specks, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Specks

Specks Well-Known Member

I have a rogue nameserver listed on my WHM for some reason. I found it when I went to Manage Nameserver IPs . When I tried to delete it it gave me the error: Sorry, the nameserver ip x.x.x.x cannot be removing since it is still registered with an ICANN register.. So it seems that someone is sitting on one of my IP addresses or they used to have it and they didn't delete the nameserver from their registrar. In any case. How can I get rid of this?

2. bking

bking Well-Known Member

See if it is listed in /etc/nameserverips. If so, remove it.

3. PbG

PbG Well-Known Member

Oddly enough the same thing happened to me with a domain (dumpthedog.com) I never even heard of. I removed it from /etc/nameserverips as well but the damn thing still shows up when I click the Manage Nameserver IPs link in WHM.

#3 PbG, Jul 11, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2005
  4. Specks

Specks Well-Known Member

Yea, I did remove it and it still comes back when I hit Manage Nameserver IPs. I'm wondering if they have it registered in godaddy as that IP address but it resolves as a different IP when I look it up. I do believe its possible. I've had it happen to a nameserver of mine when I wasn't paying attention.

5. PbG

PbG Well-Known Member

In another thread it was suggested to chattr +i /etc/nameserverips and/or not to click the Manage Nameserver IP's after editing the same as this is what repopulates the error.