The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rollover bandwidth?

Discussion in 'cPanel Developers' started by rjerina, Jan 30, 2004.

1. rjerina

rjerina Active Member

are there any add-on scripts available for rollover bandwidth?

example: if user doesnt uses 20gb of their 40gb total bandwidth, next month they will get 40gb + 20gb from last month.

2. jello

jello Registered

I have to agree with thaphantom... that would be a deal killer...
    have a guy pay 6.00 a month and save up 3-800 gig of transfer and then opens a radio stream and bang.. there goes YOUR bandwidth server wide....

3. rjerina

rjerina Active Member

i dont really care if it will work or not, my boss wants it so he is doing it. an addon to automatically do it would be all the nicer though.

4. pxn

pxn Member

Not only are we wanting this add-on but i am willing to pay to have it made! Anyone interested post your price or contact me @ j@pxnonline.com and we can work out getting this done.

Price is not the question, the question is how fast you can have it done :).

5. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

I definately agree on this one that it is not a good idea, but it might be possible.

What you would need to do is have a script that will read the bandwidth used and the bandwidth allowance at the end of each month. Take the difference between the 2 and add that to the monthly allowance.

One possible problem is that the allowance is recorded in the /var/cpanel/users/username files and this would need to be changed each month, and if you ever modify a package and apply it to accounts using it, that modification will be overwritten.

As jello said, the idea would mean someone could build up the allowed bandwidth and then go crazy one month and kill the server. You would almost have to at least have a fixed maximum for safety.

6. pxn

pxn Member

Ok now honestly do you think we would have launched the company without knowing this before hand? And not to mention have thought about it, this is a risk we are willing to take for our customers sake. Not many companys in this given time put there customers first we do on the other hand and give them everything we can and still stay in business and sales have been amazing :).

Anyways we appreciate your input and we are looking for someone to-do the script thanks.

7. PWSowner

I can probably write a script that will do what you want, but my schedule is pretty solid this week. If you are interested in having me work on this next week PM me and we can discuss it.

8. qbert1987

qbert1987 Well-Known Member

i too am very intrested however i would like to see some sort of cap. like you can only have 3x what you get each month. that way there is still some risk however its not as bad.

9. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

Maybe talk to the Hostrocket guys, they were the first to fully implement this. As for it being a good idea or not that is the person's choice. If you set certain limitations this could be a great selling tool.

10. PWSowner

That would definately be an option that would be included in the script if I write it. It would use a variable to set the absolute max.

11. nybble

nybble Well-Known Member

If anyone makes this script, can they let me know? Might be cool to have it on board :) like a max of 2 months or something

One thing I see though, cpanel doesn't catch ALL bandwidth used per user anyway, its just a ROUGH guess... heh, what good is it to limit it? Thats not what they have used, it doesn't catch like https or SSH, does it?

12. qbert1987

but thats like your adsl cap not counting hotmail or somthing like that, its so small that at even with someone who use's it non stop wouldent be able to use much at all.

squirrel check your messages.

#12 qbert1987, Feb 12, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2004
  13. nybble

nybble Well-Known Member

Not true, if you have a 500MB account persay, and ip/~username is not logged, people could just upload a `front` (site) and then use 400MB to store huge files, and jsut let people download them from ip/~username/file.to.download

14. qbert1987

and why wouldent that come under http transfers? as http is one of the ones that would be loged buy the bandwith limit.

15. PWSowner

If something is downloaded as mainIP/~username the bandwidth doesn't count towards that users account.

16. qbert1987

so whats stopping a big mirror from just useing a 6$ account to flog a server?

17. nybble

nybble Well-Known Member

18. rcttrainers

rcttrainers Member

The only way I could see this working is if the server has a set bandwidth amount e.g. 10mBits/s unburstable or 100mbit/s unburstable so there is no chance that the server will run up excess costs

19. nybble

nybble Well-Known Member

Gee that was a useful post :p

But if they pay you $1 per GB and your costs are $0.50 a GB than if its all pre-paid, who cares?

20. Zerano

Zerano Member

Just a thought...

What if you were to just allow the extra bandwidth from the single previous month to rollover without adding from all the other previous months? Would that be feasible solution then?

For example:

Jon signs up for hosting with 5Gb of bandwidth allotted to him per month. He used 2Gb the first month and 4Gb the next. For the third month he would have 6Gb (5+1) to use despite the fact he had 8Gb (5+3) he could* have used for his second month.

And, if he used more than 5Gb for the second month like 6Gb for instance then he wouldn't get any additional bandwidth for the third month because he used over 5Gb. At the same time though he wouldn't be charged for overage because he used less than the 8Gb he could have used as per the example above.

Hope I didn't lose any of you, but if it could be coded like that then it would be a very nice feature for customers to have. Oh, and I'm interested in adding rollover bandwidth to my services as well. :)