The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

root access via WHM denied

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by posterity, Jan 7, 2014.

1. posterity

posterity Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I just setup a new CPanel WHM server within the last 24 hours. everything was working fine until I shutdown the server and transferred it into the Server rack. After powering it everything works except I can't log in to WHM with root account. I am very sure of the password because the same credentials is able to give me ssh access over the same IP. The server sits behind a firewall so it is configured with a private IP address which is NAT to an assigned public IP address.

I followed some past threads and disabled cphulk but still did not get access. Before shutting down however, I created two hosting accounts. I am able to log in to the accounts with the account usernames and passwords but can't get access with the root account.

How do I resolve this in time as this is suppose to be a proof of concept to get my office to invest in licensing our new servers and I am very sure I have only 15 days before the license the expires.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Please review the following log file:

/usr/local/cpanel/logs/login_log

Do you notice any specific errors related to your failed login attempts into WHM?

Thank you.

3. posterity

posterity Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

I observed each failed login attempt has the corresponding log "FAILED LOGIN cpaneld: invalid cpanel user root"

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Please ensure you use port 2086 or 2087 when accessing Web Host Manager. You can also use "/whm" in the URL. It's a separate URL than what you use to access cPanel.

Thank you.

5. posterity

posterity Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you so much. How did I not see this!! I was all along accessing WHM through the wrong port.