The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Root Certificate

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by whipworks, Feb 3, 2015.

1. whipworks

whipworks Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi. Getting this error about a "CA Root certificate is not trusted" thing when sending out emails. Has this have something to do with the domain name or the server IP? How do I correct this? Thanks!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Could you let us know the exact message you receive, and elaborate on how you are sending the email? Is it through an email client, and what version of cPanel is installed on your system? Note that cPanel version 11.48 introduces SNI functionality for email, allowing you to utilize the individual SSL certificates for mail.

Thank you.

3. whipworks

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Version 11.44.2 (build5). Error shows...

UWS190.domainname is who the certificate is issued from
    Valid from 2014 09 13 to 2015 09 13
    \this CA Root certificate is not trusted
    To enable trust in the Trusted Root Certification Authorization

It's a pop up on Outlook, and it ask if I want to install. Thing is, I'm not quite sure if it's talking about the domain certificate or the CPanel server certificate. The CA root certificate tells me that it might be the domain. Is this right? Should I get an SSL certificate for the said domain? It's just weird the it doesn't work on one particular account.

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You won't be able to utilize SSL for email on a per-domain basis unless you are using cPanel version 11.48 on a server that supports SNI (E.g. CentOS/RHEL/CloudLinux 6). The mismatch warning typically stems from the fact that you are using your domain name for the mail server name or a self-signed certificate is installed for the mail service via "WHM Home » Service Configuration » Manage Service SSL Certificates".

Thank you.

5. whipworks

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What do I do next? Do I install a new certificate to avoid this issue?

6. JamesOakley

JamesOakley Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I opened a ticket about something that sounds like it may be related. The result was case number 160305.

Michael may be able to have a look at that and see if it sounds relevant in your case.

7. whipworks

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks James! Michael has always been a big help. Hope he gets back to me with this one. The CA certificate I saw on WHM was dated to expire on Sept this year. So I don't know why the pop up shows up, or do I have to have it install when it asks me to.

8. whipworks

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Another problem I have. I've uploaded an SSL cert for a domain. But there is no option to install it. Do I need to install something on the SSL/TLS Manager? I see that there's something missing. Usually there's a "Install and Manage SSL for your site (HTTPS)" option. I'm guessing if that's missing, I can't install the SSL certificate.

9. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Have you considered updating to cPanel version 11.48? It allows for mail SNI integration if you are using CentOS/RHEL 6.x:

For systems that support SNI, you can now enable SNI for a domain during SSL installation. You can also enable or disable SNI for domains that have SSL certificates already inst

11.48 Release Notes

Otherwise, are you stating that you never received that warning message before?

Thank you.

10. whipworks

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I know that our CPanel servers have auto-updates, but then I found out that the updates didn't go through because it was blocked. Root cause was because Front Page Extensions interface is installed and the system wants me to remove that before the updates can go through. If I do, wouldn't that affect customers using Front Page?

11. JamesOakley

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    @whipworks - that doesn't sound like it's related to the root certificate being omitted from the secured SMTP connections in Exim - it sounds like a different issue. Unless I've misunderstood, I'd suggest you open a new thread about this one

12. whipworks

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi JamesOakley. cPanelMichael suggested an update on the version. I checked and notice that it wasn't able to update automatically because of the said issue I mentioned above about Front Page extensions being installed. I don't know why that would be an issue, but the system said that the update is blocked due to this extension. I'm just following up on his suggestion. Sorry for any confusion :)

13. JamesOakley

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  14. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, it will uninstall FrontPage Extensions and prevent customers from using it. However, this is inevitable as Microsoft® deprecated the FrontPage® extensions for Linux in 2006. There is a document on this at:

11.46 FrontPage® Update Blocker

Thank you.