Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Root directory for add-on domain?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GuyScharf, Jul 31, 2012.

1. GuyScharf

GuyScharf Registered

When creating an addon domain, cpanel defaults to /public_html/addon.com for the root directory for the addon domain. This results in the root directory being /home/acct/public_html/addon.com.

What are the pros and cons of using /addon.com as the root directory instead of /public_html/addon.com? (for a normal shared hosting account, not a reseller account) This would make the root directory for the addon domain be /home/acct/addon.com instead of /home/acct/public_html/addon.com.

This seems to me to give better separation between the primary and addon domains, but I don't understand if there are other risks or advantages of either approach.

Thank you!

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Not sure there are any downsides (cons) to this. Pro might be that you won't find domain.com/addon.com via search.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The pro would be that you can't reach the folder using maindomain.com/folder, since it would only be in the subdomain/addon folder location. Some people wouldn't want their addon folder spidered as a duplicate by search engines under their main domain, which could possibly happen if you place it inside public_html

This is likely what Infopro was also stating, but to provide an example to see it. I added two domains to my endar.org main domain:

bestgarden.net
    errorcodex.com

I did bestgarden.net like this:

/home/endar/public_html/bestgarden.net

I can reach it using http://endar.org/bestgarden.net under my main domain

For errorcodex.com, I did it like this:

/home/endar/errorcodex.com

I cannot reach it using http://endar.org/errorcodex.com under my main domain.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...