The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Root email advise

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by webbuilders, May 10, 2011.

1. webbuilders

webbuilders Member

Hi i want to ask opinions about the Root email i see in all my accounts.

By default i noticed that all e-mails that are going to anywhere@domain.com are going inside this "Root" of the domain.

1) My first question is that if i want to stop such function for all domains how can i do it ..??
    2) Is there a way from Cpanel even if i have closed such function from WHM someone to configure his mails that goes to anywhere to grab them ??
    3) What do you suggest me to do ?? What are the disadvantages if i close such function ??

Thanks

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    In WHM > Tweak Settings, you have the following option:

If you set this to "Fail", then emails sent to non-existing email accounts on the domain will be bounced back to the sender rather than try to deliver to the user's default email account. This will only apply to new accounts. Any previously existing accounts will need to have this changed in /etc/valiases from the following:

Code:
    *: username
    To the following:

Code:
    *: :fail: No Such User Here
    Please note that username above represents the cPanel username.

The following commands should do this for you (please note that I'm having a backup created of /etc/valiases before the command to ensure that you have a method to covert back to the previously working files):

Code:
    cp -R /etc/valiases /etc/valiases.bak110510
    for i in `ls /var/cpanel/users/`;do replace "*: $i" "*: :fail: No Such User Here" -- /etc/valiases/*;done
    This basically takes all instances of *: username and replaces them with *: :fail: No Such User Here instead.

Next, anyone who has set their default email catchall to something else such as an email account will not be changed. The users who have done this likely do want to receive those emails.

3. webbuilders

webbuilders Member

Thanks for your reply ...

One more question that i have not understand .. How a client can catch from Cpanel all the emails if he want even if i had this set up to "fail" ?? Is there an extra choice in every cpanel ?

Thanks

4. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I don't understand the question. What is meant precisely by "from Cpanel" in this context? What area of cPanel would be sending messages to the customer? If the customer has something being sent to an existing account, the existing account would still receive messages. The above steps are for any non-existing email accounts. It's a bad policy to accept emails for non-existing email accounts, since those are a magnet for spammers.

5. theG

theG Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi i am getting lot of spam mails to email accounts that are no longer exist. So my server send a bounce back email that 'No Such User exists'. I think this bounce back is causing my server to get blacklisting. So i thought to redirect this anonymous email to the default email address without any reply. I know it is not a good resolution. Any suggestion to handle such email and to be have a safe distance from the blacklisting.

Thanks in advance.

6. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you are getting blacklisted due to failing messages for spamming to your machine, then the lists blacklisting you are going against email policy. I've never heard of this happening and it seems highly unlikely that is the cause.

If you don't want to fail emails to bounce back to the sender, then blackhole them. You don't have to accept them as emails to the account, just blackhole them instead of fail and the server will process them to delete.

7. jols

jols Well-Known Member

Well this just happened to us. In our case, our server was blacklisted at mailspike.org specifically due to "delivery delayed" messages bouncing from our server, as a result of email sent to non-existent email addresses. Here's the exact quote I received from mailspike.org/anubisnetworks.com:

-----------------------------------------
    ...Those hits all refer to known spam fingerprints, as identified by the algorithms "hashdb" and "mailsigs" seen above.
    After closely inspecting all those hits, it seams that all of them (at least the recent ones) were actually DSNs about delivery delays (such as "Subject: Warning: message xxxxx-xxxx-xx delayed 144 hours").

Under normal circumstances, such type of messages (DSNs/NDRs) would have little to no impact on the reputation matrix, but in this case, since we had zero history about legit traffic from that IP address in the last 15 days, it caused the reputation to decrease up to a point that would end up on the bad reputation side.
    -----------------------------------------

8. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    So what about setting them to go to blackhole instead of fail as I suggested?

9. smileybri

smileybri Member

That worked perfectly! What a time saver!

10. Cloud9

Cloud9 Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    In my cpanel / whm this is shown in the file as

Code:
    *: ":fail: No Such User Here"
    With Speech marks ?

Your example shows without speech marks ?

Does it matter ?

11. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The quotations are needed to identify the content used in the replace command. They are not actually added to the entry itself when using that command.

Thank you.