The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

root "from" address

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Mielsvs, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Mielsvs

Mielsvs Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I can access WHM using server.domain.nl
    Mails originating from root (like cron based update notifications) are sent

FROM root@server.domain.nl
    TO mymail@example.nl (as configured in [WHM » Server Contacts » Edit System Mail Preferences])

(How) can I change this from-address?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You will need to configure a forwarder from the contact email address you are using to another email address in order to modify where the message comes from. Thus, have root email sent to one email address, and then forward mail from that address to the contact email of your preference.

Thank you.

3. Mielsvs

Mielsvs Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for your reply. I haven't explained my intentions in an effort to keep it simple, but this seems like a good moment to add some details.

I've configured DKIM and DMARC for domain.nl. All failing mails will be moved to the receipients trash. Since there's no public key available for the subdomain server.domain.nl the emails sent by root will go to the spam folder.

I thought it would be quite an overkill to add DKIM DNS records for the server subdomain, only to allow root emails in my inbox. In your reply you suggest forwarding, but this would still break DKIM I guess.
    And besides: I'm using an external DNS server. In order to create a forwarder I'd need to add the server subdomain to the main account too, which will clutter things.

Perhaps any other suggestions you can think of? :).

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The root contact address is only designed to forward email. It's not possible to change where these emails originate from. You may want to have this email forwarded to an alternate domain name setup for alerts, or whitelisting the email address the messages come from. You are welcome to open a feature request that offers native support to change the source of these email notifications:

Submit A Feature Request

Thank you.

5. Mielsvs

Mielsvs Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for your quick and clear answer!