The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Root FTP login failure

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by doulos61, Jul 18, 2011.

1. doulos61

doulos61 Well-Known Member

I recently resolve a disk quota exceeded issue related to the Inodes 100% usage. After the WHM was back online I was unable to get Pure-FTPD started successfully. Upon researching I was able to get the fix (change to ProFTPD, save, change back to Pure-FTPD, and save)

The FTP service is now running, but I am unable to login using the root user/pw. I tried using IPswitch FTP shell, and a cmd line ftp with the same 530 failure.
    Code:
    C:\Users\user>ftp server.com
    Connected to server.com.
    220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPD [privsep] [TLS] ----------
    220-You are user number 3 of 50 allowed.
    220-Local time is now 20:37. Server port: 21.
    220-This is a private system - No anonymous login
    220-IPv6 connections are also welcome on this server.
    220 You will be disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity.
    User (server.com:(none)): joeuser
    331 User joeuser OK. Password required
    Password:
    530 Login authentication failed
    Login failed.
    ftp> bye
    221-Goodbye. You uploaded 0 and downloaded 0 kbytes.
    221 Logout.
    Since I was having my VPS provider assist me in a different matter, I went ahead and changed the root pw. I confirmed that the pw is correct via the WHM, and SSH login. "joeuser" is the root account. I have been able to FTP to this server in the past w/o issue.

I need to know how to resolve this issue please. Suggestions?
    Thnx
    D

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm confused by joeuser is the root account, since root is usually the root account. Do you mean joeuser is the actual username for a sudo user that you have or what is meant precisely?

Of note, for cPanel accounts (not root account), the password should be changed in WHM > Password Modification area, since the FTP password is not changed when issuing "passwd username" in root SSH. To change the root password on the machine, it would be WHM > Change Root Password

If changing a cPanel user's password in command line, the following commands need to be processed to do it:

Code:
    /scripts/realchpass username newpass
    /scripts/mysqlpasswd username newpass
    Please replace username with the cPanel username and newpass with the new password.

If the above 2 scripts are not used to change the password and only "passwd username" is used, then the FTP and MySQL password will not be updated.

3. doulos61

doulos61 Well-Known Member

Tristan -

Sorry to add to the confusion. "joeuser" is the sudo for root. The root pw was changed. I did changed the root server pw in the WHM at the location you detailed. This is not for a cpanel user, this is for the root account.

I am just unsure why the root ftp login is throwing a 530 error. FTP worked before I had the issue with the Inodes. I haven't gotten far enough to try the clients FTP myself, but the report is that FTP for the client is not working either.

Thnx
    D

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If joeuser is a sudo account, it isn't the root account but a wheel group user with sudo level access to get to root.

Normally speaking, such users would need to exist in cPanel in order for the user to have FTP access, since FTP accounts are setup by cPanel on configuration. I would suggest seeing if this user shows up in WHM, and if the user does, changing the password there.