The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Root full on freebsd

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mosthost, May 1, 2006.

1. mosthost

mosthost Member

My root is full on freebsd 5.4 and I need to free up some space. I've looked at the other posts on this topic and did the following:

df -h gives me:

/dev/aacd1s1a Size 248M Used 248M Avail -20M Capacity 109% Mounted on /

The root directory is only using 6.3M

I think I've downloaded stuff to the server logged in as root before, could this be it? If so, how can I find the files that are using up the space on / ?

I was going to get a pro to do it for me but I can't even ssh in, I have to do it at the machine.

Is there a find command I can use to find files on the / slice?

2. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

Can you do a "du" in the /root folder to be sure nothing else is in there ?. Is your /tmp a mount point or is it part of the / partitiion ?

If you can get to the / partition and do a "du -x | sort -nr |more" and see where the files are piling up it should help. Or have someone "cd /" and do a "du -x | sort -nr > /partition/xxx.txt" where xxx.txt
    is a file and partition that has a little space you could then download the output of the du
    command and see what can be deleted.

Looks like your root is only 248 megs. Contrary to what people tell you it should be at least a few gigabytes.

3. mosthost

mosthost Member

Thank you so much I've been able to fix it now and bring it back from 109% to 62% full :)

It was your command "du -x | sort -nr |more" that let me see what I had done. I downloaded the perl update as root I think and thats what the problem was. I not make that mistake again :)