Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

root WHM login IP restricted

Discussion in 'Security' started by arjanvr, Aug 13, 2017.

1. arjanvr

arjanvr Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Can i restrict the user root to a certain IP adress in WHM as resellers should not have to use 1 ip to login or is this only possible for all users and not just root?

Also, I have had several times that people are able to login to whm without my permission. I created a ssh key and restricted Shell access so they must be coming in somewhere in whm even with a 36 digit password.. if i can restrict it to my ip is it possible they can still enter due to some backdoor? I did hire a cpanel trusted company to look at my server but it still has not stopped so i am getting a bit on edge and want to only allow my IP to login as root.

2. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

You can restrict it based on user level.. However, you can restrict it on IP basis.. Once you do an IP restriction, you can just ask the IP of the person who wants to access it and then you can put that in the host access list and allow the WHM access..
    Host Access Control - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator