Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Rotate Exim logs daily

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by rligg, Apr 21, 2014.

1. rligg

rligg Well-Known Member

I have searched and could not find what setting to use to rotate the exim logs daily.

I know you are supposed to edit /etc/logrotate.d/exim

Currently I have it set to Rotate 1 which is weekly. I am experiencing some huge logs due to an exim Syntax Attack. I have deployed some syntax rules in csf, but I want to play it safe until the attack subsides.

2. vanessa

vanessa Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    The /etc/logrotate.conf defines the intervals for rotation, and RHEL/CentOS sets this to 'weekly' by default. You can change this value, but doing so will affect all rotation definitions in /etc/logrotate.d/. What you can try, though, is editing /etc/logrotate.d/exim and add 'daily' to the definitions:

Code:
    /var/log/exim_mainlog {
        daily
        create 0640 mailnull mail
        compress
        postrotate
        /usr/bin/killall -HUP exim
        endscript
    }

You can further add 'rotate X' to the same block to specify how many copies to keep. ie, 'rotate 7' should keep for up to 7 days.

I haven't actually tried this outside of definitions in logrotate.conf, so do give it a try and let us know how it works out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    The instructions in the previous post should work. Let us know the outcome or if you have any additional questions.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...