The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rough Guide To Installing Cpanel From Centos 7.1 Minimal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MaxFein, Jul 29, 2015.

1. MaxFein

MaxFein Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi, evaluating migration to Centos 7.1 and could use some help in my googling efforts =)

Working with a nice dedicated server to host a couple of WP Multisite networks and need, in a nutshell: Apache >2.4, PHP >5.5, MariaDB >10.0.20

Q1: Assuming we're starting from Centos 7.1 Minimal what are essential additional packages needed prior to cPanel installation? (eg. command line browser/...?)

(and I don't mean effectively 'upgrading' to base web server, I'm trying to focus on a leaner web server for my WP to reduce competition for server resources - its quite a chore to make WP go fast enough for my tastes and I've gotten a fair distance learning how to *turn things off* yet I'm thinking that the better way forward is to learn more about how to only *turn on* what I really need in the first place... )

Basically, I'm pretty good at reading docs yet am obviously a bit new at some of this and am facing the 'don't know where to look' issue a bit... am thinking that it'd be a great thread to have around the forums right about now (if we can get it fleshed out a bit, though good links are a great start)!

I have some ideas from the searching I've already done yet have decided to try and leave the space open to get the thread off to a sound start before I post my copypasta... Cheers!

Q2: With my rough use-case in mind, what are likely (if any) additional packages needed that cannot be handled as usual via EasyApache once cPanel is successfully set up?

[elucidation ensues here, hopefully... =]

2. MaxFein

MaxFein Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    thanks, its always great to find the situation to be vastly simpler than expected... it seems that essentially Minimal is the recommended option (wondering why especially for Centos 7?)... also saw the bit about removing yum groups... thanks again =)

in the spirit of sharing, here's some fun looking stuff: wiki.mikejung.biz/CentOS_7

#3 MaxFein, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2015
  3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Yes, as mentioned, the minimal version of CentOS is actually what's recommended. cPanel automatically installs all of the necessary software.

It depends if your website scripts require specific modules that are not included by default. You can run "php -m" after the initial installation to see which PHP modules are loaded by default.

Thank you.