The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roundcube issue - mail missing

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Serra, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Serra

Serra Well-Known Member

I'm having an issue with a customer and I'd like some advice on how to look for the problem.

A customer contacted me and said that she can't see email in her box that she knows was sent to her. I logged into her mail and I didn't see the mail either. (It was sent about 10 minutes prior).

I logged into the server (cPanel STABLE running Dovecot) and looked at her physical mail box and the message was sitting in her /cur directory and had a time stamp of 10 minutes prior.

I tried refreshing, hitting the "check for new mail" button and it wouldn't show up in Roundcube.

I hit the settings icon to check her "check for new message timer", which was fine, so no change, and when I hit the email icon, the message appeared in both of our displays. (a bit of a refresh delay on her side).

It is clear that the message was delayed at least 10 minutes before I started looking at the problem and at least another 5 minutes after I verified it was physically available myself. Once the problem clear, any message sent showed up as expected after that.

This isn't the first time this issue has been seen, but the first time I was able to see it myself, or get actual proof of the problem up close.

I was able to verify that my Roundcube mail box was working fine at the time.

2. manokiss

manokiss Well-Known Member

I have a similar problem with one client...when he login in Roundcube he dont see new messages in the Inbox, but if he click in another folder, for example the trash folder and then click back the inbox all the messages appear in the inbox.

He start having this problem after our cpanel update:

Release 42213 2009-12-16 18:45:35

Where i see there were a roundcube update to 0.3-stable so perhaps is related to this as he start having this problem after this update.

Note, i did try loggin with his email and this is not something happening to me BUT im using XP and he is using Vista Home Premium OS so i guess is an issue of Roundcube with Vista.

If anyone experiencing this problem please post here so i can make sure this is not just something happening to us and i can open a ticket requesting they check this problem in the cpanel build.

3. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    To both Serra and manokiss, does the same issue occur when using SquirrelMail and Horde? This may or may not be an issue within Roundcube and how it caches data; the Roundcube cache is not controlled by cPanel.

What is the IMAP/POP3 server in-use on the system? The following command will show the current setup (please copy and paste the output):
    Code:
    # /scripts/setupmailserver --current

4. manokiss

Thanx Don,

Im checking with the client about squirrelmail and horde...until thene here is the setup info:

Current mailserver type: courier
    Current storage format: maildir

Thanx!

5. manokiss

Hi Don,

Just wanted let you know with Horde or Squirrel is not happening, so probably is something in roundcube....just letting you know so you can take care of it.

Thanx and Happy New Year!

6. ffeingol

ffeingol Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    We're having the same RoundCube issue with one client. We use courier also. I had already asked them to try SquirrelMail as it looked like a RC issue but we have not heard back.

7. cubicstream

cubicstream Registered

Same

Same here ! Please release a patch or anything :)

8. cPanelDon

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    To help gather more detail about the Roundcube issue, please provide the output from the following commands via root SSH access:
    Code:
    # grep '' /etc/*release /var/cpanel/envtype
    # grep '' /usr/local/cpanel/version /var/cpanel/roundcube/version
    # grep roundcube_db /var/cpanel/cpanel.config
    # /scripts/setupmailserver --current
    Additionally, it will help to know the following:
    1.) Are the messages that appear missing always newly received, or is it affecting significantly older messages already existing in the Inbox?
    2.) Do the messages display after the following two steps?
    2.A) Log-out of Roundcube (via the Log-out link in Roundcube and not by closing the tab or window)
    2.B) Clear/flush the browser cache and close all browser windows
    3.) Is there any change in behavior after using Roundcube to compact the Inbox (and any other affected folders) and then re-performing step 2?

Please note that Roundcube is a third-party product and would depend on the vendor for issuing official patches; I don't have enough information to know which Roundcube bug might be involved, but if you have any details in this regard we would like to know.

For reference, cPanel version 11.25 uses the latest stable release of Roundcube version series 0.3. Per internal case ID #35890 there is a minor Roundcube version update queued for Quality Assurance testing in the cPanel/WHM BETA build tree; however, when I checked the official Roundcube change log for this minor version update it was not unquestionably clear to me if it would help the specific issue being encountered. For reference, here is a link to the Roundcube change log: Change Log - Roundcube Webmail

Here are a few additional resources for researching that I suggest:
    Support - Getting help for Roundcube Webmail
    FAQ - Roundcube Webmail
    Known Issues - Roundcube Webmail
    Bug tracker, Available Reports - Roundcube Webmail
    Roundcube Webmail - Mailing Lists Search
    RoundCube Webmail Community Forum

9. Misiek

Misiek Well-Known Member

Same issue here

Code:
    /etc/redhat-release:CentOS release 5.4 (Final)
    /var/cpanel/envtype:standard

/usr/local/cpanel/version:11.25.0-RELEASE_42400
    /var/cpanel/roundcube/version:0.3-stable.cp4

roundcube_db=mysql

Current mailserver type: dovecot

The messagess show up pafter changing from options to inbox and only on some clients thats relativly strange

#9 Misiek, Jan 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  10. ghinternet

ghinternet Registered

Same issue

I have the same problem:

FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE i386

/usr/local/cpanel/version:11.25.0-RELEASE_42400

roundcube_db=mysql

Current mailserver type: cppop
    Current storage format: mbox

11. kmaw

kmaw Registered

Has anybody found out anymore information on this issue? Here is my information, hopefully it can help.

/etc/redhat-release:CentOS release 5.4 (Final)

/usr/local/cpanel/version:11.25.0-RELEASE_43473

roundcube_db=mysql

Current mailserver type: courier

1.) Are the messages that appear missing always newly received, or is it affecting significantly older messages already existing in the Inbox?
    SEEMS TO BE NEWLY RECEIVED, NOT OLDER
    2.) Do the messages display after the following two steps?
    2.A) Log-out of Roundcube (via the Log-out link in Roundcube and not by closing the tab or window)
    2.B) Clear/flush the browser cache and close all browser windows
    NO, BUT THEY DO APPEAR AFTER NAVIGATING TO ANOTHER FOLDER, THEN BACK TO INBOX
    3.) Is there any change in behavior after using Roundcube to compact the Inbox (and any other affected folders) and then re-performing step 2?
    NO

This is the only reference to a similar issue I found, but they claim it was fixed 3 years ago:
    #1484310 (New messages not shown in the message list) – Roundcube Webmail

12. cPanelDon

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    The symptoms described lead me to believe it may be related to issues surrounding the caching that is performed by Roundcube.

To help narrow the possible causes I would suggest to temporarily disable Roundcube caching to see if the issue still occurs.

The following configuration file is used to toggle caching on ("TRUE") or off ("FALSE"):
    Code:
    /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/roundcube/config/main.inc.php
    To check if caching is enabled or disabled, the following command may be used (via root SSH access):
    Code:
    # grep enable_caching /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/roundcube/config/main.inc.php
    Here is a set of steps that can be used to disable caching temporarily:
    Code:
    # cd /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/roundcube/config/
    # cp -pv main.inc.php main.inc.php.backup
    # perl -p -i -e 's/^\$rcmail_config.*enable_caching.*TRUE\;/\$rcmail_config\[''\'\''enable_caching''\'\'']\ \=\ FALSE\;/g' main.inc.php
    To re-enable caching all that is needed is to restore from the saved backup copy of the original configuration file, as seen below:
    Code:
    # cd /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/roundcube/config/
    # cp -pv main.inc.php.backup main.inc.php

13. bigdessert

bigdessert Active Member

Also having the same issue with 1 email address out of 100. Will disable caching and report back.

Thanks,

14. bigdessert

bigdessert Active Member

ok, turning the caching off instantly fixed the problem for the one client having troubles. How can we make this permanent so that the next time cpanel updates it will not overwrite my setting?

15. Craigles

Craigles Member

You could try adding those commands to /scripts/postupcp - that way any cpanel update will call that file after completing it's routines.

#!/bin/sh

cp -pv /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/roundcube/config/main.inc.php /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/roundcube/config/main.inc.php.backup

perl -p -i -e 's/^\$rcmail_config.*enable_caching.*TRUE\;/\$rcmail_config\[''\'\''enable_caching''\'\'']\ \=\ FALSE\;/g' /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/roundcube/config/main.inc.php

That's how I would do it anyway - i'm sure one of the cpanel tech's will correct me if I'm wrong :)

#15 Craigles, Mar 10, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  16. cPanelDon

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Automate Roundcube configuration customization via cPanel and WHM script hooks

Thank you for the feedback and information. As was suggested by Craigles, it is possible to automate customizations after an update using the built-in script hooks, such as preupcp and postupcp. For additional clarification please reference the following documentation:

For purposes of automation in a custom script using the built-in hooks (e.g., "/scripts/postupcp"), I would revise the suggestion to the following example that I believe should work with minimal difficulty:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    /bin/echo
    /bin/echo "Post script running..."

/bin/cp -fpv /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/roundcube/config/main.inc.php /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/roundcube/config/main.inc.php.backup

/usr/bin/perl -p -i -e 's/^\$rcmail_config.*enable_caching.*TRUE\;/\$rcmail_config\[''\'\''enable_caching''\'\'']\ \=\ FALSE\;/g' /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/roundcube/config/main.inc.php

/bin/echo "Post script completed..."
    /bin/echo

17. Serra

Serra Well-Known Member

Roundcube cache errors still are a problem on several servers. Turning off caching fixes the problem, but every roundcube update turns it back on...

18. cPanelDon

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    To the best of my knowledge I believe that caching in Roundcube is now disabled by default, at least I see it is disabled when forcefully re-installing Roundcube in cPanel & WHM version 11.28. As the IMAP/POP mail server, Courier or Dovecot, is hosted locally, that is in the same system that serves cPanel, I believe that Webmail should not require additional caching in Roundcube over what is already handled by the local mail server.