Roundcube - Possible mailbox corruption.

deftrance

Registered
Sep 11, 2009
Afternoon everyone,

I've recently taken over our cPanel server as the employee that had been primarily administering it has since moved on to another company. I'm still fairly green in regards to most of the inner workings of the server.

My dilemma:
I have a customer on the cPanel server that is set up as a normal account, not a reseller or anything special. They are using the webmail rather than pulling e-mail down and prefer Roundcube. I have the most recent version of Roundcube installed and my cPanel version is cPanel 11.25.0-C40255 - WHM 11.25.0 - X 3.9.

Recently, these two users began receiving "Unexpected condition from IMAP server, closed or corrupt connection to IMAP. Possible mailbox corruption." whenever they login to Roundcube. The issue does not occur with Squirrelmail. Any ideas or suggestions by chance?

cPanelDon

cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
Staff member
Nov 5, 2008
Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
Are you using Courier or Dovecot for your POP3/IMAP server?

If using Dovecot, this should already be fixed; for the combination of Dovecot and RoundCube, there is a related internal case ID, #33678.

The following command (via root SSH access) may be used to show your current POP3/IMAP server software:
Code:
# /scripts/setupmailserver --current
Is this only affecting two e-mail account users; are there more e-mail account users not affected?

cPanelDon

Staff member
Nov 5, 2008
Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
Is there any progress on this for Courier users?
The internal case referenced earlier indicated the issue was reproducible only while using Dovecot, and when checking the third-party vendor ticket from the Roundcube Trac web site it was reportedly not reproducible using Courier.

It will help to know additional details for the system where the issue is being experienced.

Via root SSH access, please provide output from the following commands:
Code:
# grep '' /usr/local/cpanel/version
# grep '' /var/cpanel/roundcube/version
# grep roundcube_db /var/cpanel/cpanel.config
For reference, here is the Roundcube Trac ticket about the issue; and at the time of writing the case is still open in their system:
#1486190 (imap.inc does not respond to unexpected IMAP connection close) – Roundcube Webmail Trac

wpstudios

Registered
Jan 14, 2010
Just want to let you know that I am having the same issue using Roundcube (no issue with SquirrelMail) with courier and here is the required dumps:

Code:
11.25.0-RELEASE_42401

0.3-stable.cp4

roundcube_db=mysql

Current mailserver type: courier
Current storage format: maildir
is there any fix for it ?

Thank you

cPanelDon

Staff member
Nov 5, 2008
Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
Just want to let you know that I am having the same issue using Roundcube (no issue with SquirrelMail) with courier and here is the required dumps:

Code:
11.25.0-RELEASE_42401

0.3-stable.cp4

roundcube_db=mysql

Current mailserver type: courier
Current storage format: maildir
is there any fix for it ?

Thank you
Thank you for the information. Please submit a support request so that we may examine the server directly; this will help greatly so that we can properly diagnose and fully investigate the reported symptoms. When available, please send me your ticket ID number (e.g., via a PM) so I may follow-up internally. The following page may be used to initiate a ticket submission (Additional Support Options); alternatively, WHM may also be used via the following menu path: WHM: Main >> Support >> Support Center >> Contact cPanel.

Apoc

Mar 4, 2003
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
I'm having the same issue, so would appreciate if you could update this topic when there's any more information.

Some additional info which may be useful: after refreshing a couple of times, it works fine again, and then usually the next day it happens again. This has been going on for a while already.

cPanelDon

Staff member
Nov 5, 2008
Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
I'm having the same issue, so would appreciate if you could update this topic when there's any more information.

Some additional info which may be useful: after refreshing a couple of times, it works fine again, and then usually the next day it happens again. This has been going on for a while already.
There may be multiple factors involved and for this reason it is difficult to say what a single solution may be that would work for everyone; additional factors may include server load and MySQL usage, resource usage limitations or insufficient resources available. Intermittent resource usage issues may be why it is sometimes difficult to reproduce reliably (where it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't).

While researching reports of the issue I noted that some users found that switching from Courier to Dovecot helped to alleviate the issue; using Dovecot should also reduce memory and CPU resource usage in comparison to Courier; in a different case it was found that the issue stemmed from MySQL database errors and in that instance it helped to run "mysqlcheck" on databases to look for corruption and attempt repair.

In cPanel 11.25 there is an option to have Roundcube use SQLite instead of MySQL for database storage. Please note that conversion is one-way and is an elective (optional) process, with no support for returning Roundcube to using MySQL for the database. If the system Roundcube configuration is still using MySQL I would consider converting it to use SQLite as detailed in the cPanel 11.25 Release Notes (available for download in PDF format): cPanel Release Notes - Version 11.25

For reference, the release notes PDF has the applicable Roundcube and SQLite information detailed in section 1.21 (per the table of contents), within document pages 13 to 15. Please ensure to read the Pre-conversion Considerations in section 1.21.1, on page 14, of the release notes.

Data 1

May 25, 2008
Columbus Ohio
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
was also getting the same issue on one of our servers, but upgrading to Dovecot resolved the connection.
Ditto on that, upgraded to Dovecot and problem went away. It was easy and fast. service configuration/mailserver selection

Took about 5 minutes but depending on how many accounts it has to convert I bet that could go way up.

chrisjenx2001

Registered
Nov 7, 2008
I'm using Dovecot and still get the same issues.

It could be MySQL but we have plenty of resource overhead on our server it may just be Round Cube has a poor IMAP interface or times out to quick?

Cheers,
Chris

renatoandrade

Feb 20, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
If any user here has a problem with corruption in the search indexing of Rouncube I was able to find the solution for that.

Go to Folder in terminal
cd /home/user/mail/domain/userMail/
rm -Rfv dovecot*
rm -Rfv maildirfolder

If the sent folder is not indexing in the search, just do the same for the Sent folder

/home/user/mail/domain/userMail/.Sent

rm -Rfv dovecot*
rm -Rfv maildirfolder

After doing this, log in to the RoundCube again and click on the folders where the messages are, so that it automatically redoes the file indexing table, your webmail will be back 100%.

Samir

Mar 16, 2006
I hate to bump an older thread, but I think the solution posted above may solve my corruption issue as well--except that I only have file manager access.

What files should I manually erase?

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

Samir

Mar 16, 2006
Yes. My host is supposedly working on it, but if you have a solution I would rather fix it and get back to work.