The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Route default (catchall) to IP by smtp

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by beddo, Aug 20, 2009.

1. beddo

beddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi Folks.
    I have an annoying situation. One of our users has a domain. This domain has two POP3 accounts set up to collect mail at one site. They now want a lot more accounts at a different site.
    What I have done is leave the two mailbox set up and then route the default to a catchall pop3 mailbox and have the Exchange POP3 connector at the new site pick that up. The only problem is the exchange connector is being useless and routing mail to the wrong mailboxs. In my experience the POP3 connector causes tonnes of trouble.

So, I was wondering if there was a way to use the "Pipe to program" option for the default address setting to have the mail handed off via SMTP to a static IP. I can see that theoretically it should be possible but don't have a clue of any apps that might do it.

Any suggestions?

PS: I know the alternative is to SMTP it all to the server at the new site and have the POP3 clients pull it from there, but one of the people collecting the POP3 mail is one of the most difficult people to deal with. I'd rather spend an hour doing a technical workaround than an hour trying to explain why we need to change things!