Route via smarthost - also local domains

eitanc

Jan 31, 2010
Hello,

I looking for a way to route all outbound emails via an external smarthost server, even for internal same-domain and local-domains deliveries.

I wish that any delivery, even between same domain mailboxes and between domains that all reside on the same server that exim is installed on - will be routed to an external email security service, so it will examine the emails and then route them as needed, even back to the origin server, where these local domains reside.

I googled about this but could not find a way to do it. Does anyone know a way to do it?

eitanc

Jan 31, 2010
Correct, all email sent from the origin server to email address of the same local email domain or other local email domains - is sent internally inside the same server, never routed via the smarthost. I wish for even this internal traffic to be delivered via the smarthost external IP. How can I do it?

cPanelLauren

Technical Support Community Manager
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Correct, all email sent from the origin server to email address of the same local email domain or other local email domains - is sent internally inside the same server, never routed via the smarthost. I wish for even this internal traffic to be delivered via the smarthost external IP. How can I do it?
Configuration you added in relation to this ^

cPanelLauren

Technical Support Community Manager
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Yea, its a customization. Normally local deliveries aren't needed to go to the smarthost. Since they're entirely local. The exim documentation here:

7. The default configuration file is a great resource as well as the exim users mailing list here: Exim-users

There are a ton of other threads on setting up exim transports/routers in the forums as well .