The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

%rpemail% Global DNS Edit

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Mysteerie, May 29, 2005.

1. Mysteerie

Mysteerie Well-Known Member

I tried searching, but havn't came to an answer.

What does %rpemail% value mean in the DNS (what is the purpose).

All I can gather is it uses the server contract address, (and I recently changed that value). So I was wondering if I had to change the value of all the old DNS entries to represent the new value for that field.

Even if I don't, how would I globablly edit that field for multiple dns (I have over a 100 domains, so doing them one by one is a long and tedious option).

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

That's the RFC required email address for the domain in the zone files SOA record. It should be a real email address for people who want to contact the domain owner/DNS provider. If you want to change it you can either wade through all the domains in WHM, or use search and replace in the zone files usually stored in /var/named/* but if you do that you also need to increase the SERIAL number for the zone for the changes to propagate properly. If this lot doesn't mean much, have a search on the web for DNS tutorials.