The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rpm package installation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kayyy, Sep 5, 2014.

1. kayyy

kayyy Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Can i install a rpm package for a customer without any problems ?

It`s about this package -> wkhtmltopdf

2. ThinIce

ThinIce Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It depends upon the package and how you are managing your systems. You can most certainly download and then yum install the package provided, which should install any dependencies. You can unpack it first to look at what files it contains and any package scripts, I'd imagine it's doubtful it will write to any areas where it would directly interfere with cPanel.

The bigger issue (potentially) is on how you are verifying the package you have downloaded is the one the developers uploaded, I don't see hashes for the downloads provided for example, which is arguably poor practise and may or may not matter to you. The other problem with installing packages in this manner is that they won't receive updates as the rest of your system does, which can lead to things getting forgotten. You might be better off enabling and installing it from EPEL if the version you want is available there.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Right, as mentioned in the previous post, it's not likely to interfere with cPanel, but you should verify it's legitimate and safe to install on your system.

Thank you.