The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RSA server certificate CommonName (CN) does NOT match server name!?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chips12, May 9, 2012.

1. chips12

chips12 Active Member

I am seeing this warning in apache error log, after installing an SSL certificate in WHM for one website on a dedicated IP.

RSA server certificate CommonName (CN) `www.xxxxxxxxxxx.co.uk' does NOT match server name!?

I have Googled alot, but am not able to find what my problem is. It seems to be something to do with the virtual hosts set up in httpd.conf.

<VirtualHost xxx.xxx.xxx.34:443>
    ServerName xxxxxxxxx.co.uk
    ServerAlias www.xxxxxxxxx.co.uk
    DocumentRoot /home/xxxxxx/public_html
    ServerAdmin webmaster@xxxxxxx.co.uk
    UseCanonicalName Off
    ..........etc

The server name set up in this virtual host directive, appears to be correct, it is same as showing in the warning that says there is a mismatch.

At the beginning of virtual hosts in httpd.conf, there is another reference to this that uses the IP address that the domain is on
    NameVirtualHost xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:443

Is it that causing the mismatch and does anyone have an idea about what should be done?

2. Eric

Eric Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Howdy,

Open a ticket we would be happy to take a look.

Thanks!

3. Metro2

Metro2 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I see the same thing in the apache error logs for just about all domains that are on dedicated IP with SSL certs installed across all of my servers (and it's nothing new - the error seems harmless but it is annoying).

Even my own main domain shows this in the apache error logs ever 2 hours:

[Sat May 26 12:15:57 2012] [warn] RSA server certificate CommonName (CN) `IANA &mdash; Example domains' does NOT match server name!?

(replace example.com with my domain name)

Like chips12 , I too have done a lot of Googling on the issue and like he found, I'm finding that most searches are dead-ends and the only solutions out there say things like:

But that's not good, because cPanel generates the httpd.conf entries and it says right in the file " # DO NOT EDIT. AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED. IF YOU NEED TO MAKE A CHANGE PLEASE USE THE INCLUDE FILES. "

It would be crazy to have to create an include for every domain with a dedicated IP and SSL cert installed. So I've just tolerated this issue for years.

But since cPanelEric is suggesting to chips12 to submit a ticket perhaps I need to as well.