The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rsync backup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by teknowebworks, Nov 21, 2005.

1. teknowebworks

teknowebworks Active Member

I tried searching the forum, there are a lot of posts but i have a few questions which are not there..

1. Should I be dumping mysql to a directory and than rsync it to my remote backup, or can I just copy /var/lib/mysql and it will do the job when restoring it?

2. rsync -avz --exclude=/proc <- this would do a whole server i'm assuming, will my user permissions be ok, does this copy shadow password files?

thanks for help in advance

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You should only copy the files in /var/lib/mysql if mysql is definitely not running. If it is running, you will have to do as you say, i.e. use a mysqdump of all the databases. That said, it would probably be best simply to use a full cPanel backup setup through WHM if you want to be sure about generating a restorable backup and then simply using rsync to copy the resultant tarballs off-server. Entirely depends on your reasons and requirements.

3. teknowebworks

teknowebworks Active Member

wouldn't the tar balls be always diffrence, hence rsync would need to do a complete upload every time?

4. lloyd_tennison

lloyd_tennison Well-Known Member

Change the backup type to incremental. Then no tarballs are made and you can actually use rsync and it will only do the changed bytes - not the whole tarball.