Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rsync remote backups won't remove old backup folders

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by WebHostPro, Dec 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. WebHostPro

WebHostPro Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I got rsync to backup files remotely. Glad to see we a little closer to having low WR load backups off server.

Unfortunately there is still a long way to go. I'm am still getting a lot of serious errors from the rsync remote backup system.

There is two big issues still. I have to have fixed or a work around.

1. The whole point to rsync backups is less read write load on the hard drives. Only sending the files that have changed is why it's appealing and much better.

If the remote backup system is sending all the new files over again that means it's sending everything each time! This is a horrible waste of server resources. As of now it looks like it's doing this because it cannot remove the old folders. There should be NO old folders. It should just send the changed files.

2. Second issue is that cPanel will not remove the old folders so my backups server are now filled all the way up. I have spent all morning removing older redundant backup folders sent from cPanel. This can cause major hard drive issues and again is using tons of unneeded read write resources.

My questions is, will cPanel's rsync remote backup not send all the files over again and just send the changed files like rsync is supposed to do?

And if not, how can I manually set this up?

I have been running rcync backups from the backup partition for over 10 years now and with your new system you have blocked my ability to do this. So now our backups are a nightmare.

I love you guys but you love to make things harder to do and more buggy. In this instance I really need a reliable solution. These are backups.

By making a new file name each time you do backups that changes the rsync paths making it grab everything all over again.

I have been waiting for a year now to see if your new rsync backup system can catch up with what I have been doing ten years ago but it's still much worse. Can we please have something reliable? Or at least stop changing the files names so we can run our own rsync backups.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you open a support ticket so we can take a closer look to see what's happening when your server attempts to generate and transport the incremental backups to the remote destination via rsync? The information you provided suggests the backups might not be working as intended, but we'd need to take a closer look to verify exactly what's happening.

Thank you.

3. WebHostPro

WebHostPro Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Sure I'll add a ticket,

It's just pretty straight forward. I have backups set and use rsync for the delivery way. But your system does not remove old folders that have full server backups and worse this means it is sending the full server backups for each time it does a backup. (Not just the changed files)

The point of rsync is to only send the changed files not the whole server's backups over again.

I can do my own backup system and have for a decade before your new system. Now that you changed the backup directory name each time the backups are run you eliminated me from being able to run my own rsync system.

So my backup system and your system all does not work. Leaving no way to have reliable backups without manually running them on every server each day. Which is taking 30+ minutes of work for us each day to do.

Before we had it all automated. It was much much better.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

As I understand, that's what's supposed to happen when you enable incremental backups with the rsync destination type. The remote incremental backup process (with rsync) is designed to check if the files associated with the account backup on the cPanel server also exist on the remote backup destination. If the files do not exist on the remote backup destination (or if the files have changed), then it copies the actual files. Otherwise, it makes use of hard links when the files already exist on the remote backup destination. Could you post the ticket number here so we can monitor it and update this thread with the outcome?

Thank you.