Ruby Gem Installer - At this time Rails 3.0 is not supported

mikelegg

Mar 29, 2005
I'm trying to install the "Rails" gem on new server and I notice that the Ruby Gem Installer says - "!!!! At this time Rails 3.0 is not supported and can cause a broken ruby/rails environment. !!!!"

How do I install an earlier version?

When I search for "rails" in the installer the only version that is listed is 3.0.3.

I notice on one of my other servers that rails 2.3.5 is installed, but I don't recall doing anything special to install that version, it must have been the default at the time.

cPanelTristan

Quality Assurance Analyst
Staff member
Oct 2, 2010
somewhere over the rainbow
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Of note, you do not need to run "gem install rails" if you run "/scripts/installruby" as our Ruby installer installs rails by default with it.

Additionally, if you already have ruby and rails on the machine and wanted 2.3.8 installed (the latest supported version we provide), you can simply run this command to get it updated:

Code:
gem install rails -v=2.3.8
You wouldn't want to use "gem install rails" because it will pick up the latest rails version, which is 3.0.3 right now I believe. You should hard code the version you are installing with the -v=2.3.8 flag.

mikelegg

Mar 29, 2005
I ran /scripts/installruby in the first place as per Installing Ruby, but rails didn't install.

gem install rails -v=2.3.8 has done the trick - thank you