The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ruby on Rails without Shell Access

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by djbob2, Aug 3, 2008.

1. djbob2

djbob2 Well-Known Member

Hello all,

Does anybody know if an account without shell access could possibly deploy a Rails application? I can successfully setup a Ruby on Rails application, but after I do it asks me to continue through the command line.

Is there a web interface for doing this? Can it be done by modifying my configuration file? I really want to avoid allowing shell access, but Rails is an important feature for many users.

Thanks,
    djbob

2. djbob2

djbob2 Well-Known Member

Hello all. I've figured out the solution to this problem, so I'll post it here for future reference :)

The only directives required to be run on the command line for a Ruby on Rails application are all run by cPanel's GUI. The commands that RoR's default index page suggests to run are helpful, but not required. They generate some skeleton files and put some generic code in, but all this can be done manually.

For most cases, however, it is much easier to develop an RoR application from your local computer using an IDE like Aptana Studio, and then upload all the files to your configured cPanel RoR application's path. This way, you are able to use the commands discussed above, as well as additional debugging and tracing tools.

PS: Make sure that the "Production" checkbox next your application in cPanel is configured correctly. The dropdown "Development/Production" form element is not correctly transferred when the application is created, so you have to configure this checkbox again after creation. This bug has been filed to cPanel, so hopefully it will soon be fixed :)