The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ruby script for CentOS 7

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SuperSajuuk, Apr 10, 2016.

1. SuperSajuuk

SuperSajuuk Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi there

I'm looking to set up Ruby, RubyGems and Ruby on Rails on my VPS. However, the script provided by cPanel to install these features will only install "Ruby", because my OS is not supported by the scripts or cPanel yet.

Does anyone know when CentOS 7 will be supported by cPanel/WHM for these features? There's no rush for me to use them, so I'm not too fussed if it takes a while before this is introduced to the software.

Thanks! :)

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

cPanel provides Rails 2.3, but it is integrated with Mongrel, which doesn't work with any version of Ruby other than 1.8.7 (the version shipped with CentOS 6). Thus, there's no native support for Rails with cPanel on CentOS 7.x systems. However, the "/scripts/installruby" command is still offered on CentOS 7.x for users that want to manually install and configure Mod_Passenger. You may find this unsupported workaround helpful:

How to use cPanel > Ruby on Rails area with Ruby 2 and Rails 4

Thank you.

SuperSajuuk likes this.
  3. SuperSajuuk

SuperSajuuk Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi @cPanelMichael thanks for your reply.

My question was more about whether there will be any update to the installruby script for CentOS 7, but from how I understand your comment, this won't happen because Mongrel is integrated and it only supports Ruby 1.8.7 and this is provided by CentOS 6.

I'll try the guide you posted and see if that works.

Thanks! :)

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We do not currently support Ruby installations on CentOS 7, CloudLinux 7, or RHEL 7, and there's no time frame or decision on when that will happen at this time. You can subscribe to the feature request at the below URL to receive updates on this feature:

ruby app support through phusion passenger

Thank you.

SuperSajuuk likes this.
  5. SuperSajuuk

SuperSajuuk Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi

The guide worked, however the RubyGems panel no longer has any use. This is because it uses RubyForge only for downloading gems and that site was closed down 2 years ago, which makes it utterly pointless to even use the guide because:
    1) You have to use SSH to install gems (which may or may not even install properly)
    2) The Rails app window only allows the creation of apps, which is redundant as you can just use "mkdir yourappname" and populate it with source code content of the app you want.
    3) There is no way to start a Rails app in any case because they don't start in CLI even with Phusion Passenger.

I really hope that support for Ruby and Ruby on Rails returns soon to cPanel. It's a popular programming language and it's a shame to see that only a very old (and outdated) Ruby / Mongrel version is supported atm.

Hopefully that changes in the future. :)

Regards.