The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rule of thumb for when to increase drive space (or reduce drive usage)?

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by spaceman, Apr 30, 2012.

1. spaceman

spaceman Well-Known Member

Hi,

Now that we can customise the point at which drive space warnings are set (http://forums.cpanel.net/f334/case-...hold-system-wide-disk-space-check-190891.html), my question is:

What's a good rule of thumb in terms of setting a "sensible" warning setting, i.e. one that is a timely prompt for either increasing available storage space and/or decreasing the (large) files on the server?

On the one hand we're incentivised as web hosting providers to have a server fully utilised, but on the other we don't want this to be at the expense of degraded server performance.

Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks,

Ross

2. jpearl

jpearl Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I would say to migrate or increase at around 70% depending on how fast you fill space. Then you have time to move to a new server if you have to.

3. spaceman

spaceman Well-Known Member

Thanks for your reply. If the truth be told I was expecting somewhere more in the 80%, as I don't think we've seen any obvious performance issues below 80%. Would be good to get more opinions on this. Thx.