The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Run pure-ftpd on other port?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bsasninja, Oct 15, 2009.

1. bsasninja

bsasninja Well-Known Member

Is there a way to run pure-ftpd in other port than 21?? For example port 2283?

I saw that the is an option in pure-ftpd config to bind an ipaddress and a port, cause by default is listening to all interfaces.

Bind 111.111.111.111,21

I tried the main ip of the server and worked and the other interfaces no longer listen to the 21 port. That´s fine.
    But later I have a server alerts that ftpd failed: Could not connect to port 21

But I was able to connect to the port, why the whm status page is showing failed when it´s working???

Thanks!

#1 bsasninja, Oct 15, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  2. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    While it is possible to run system services on other ports, usually by manual modification, the service monitor system is not aware of these changes. The service monitor in cPanel is chkservd. It will need modified to be aware of the port change. Configuration files are in /etc/chkserv.d Please note that modifying these files may not cause chkservd to check the service on the custom port.

3. Drake

Drake Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Ftp On Another PORT : Band-Aid Fix

To: bsasninja

Think about adding your additional port for the outside world to access it. (now FTP is listening on standard port and your non-standard port)

Then set up a rule in iptables INPUT chain to block the standard FTP port from the outside world and only allow connection from localhost, local IP's and any trusted IP's you may desire.

This way you won't need to alter Chkservd configs.

I hope this suggestion is helpful.

~Drake