The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running 2 instances of MySQL

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by htsnet, Jan 16, 2006.

1. htsnet

htsnet Member

Has anyone successfully run two instances of MySQL on one CPanel box? Specifically running version 4.0 and 4.1 as two different installations? If so, please let me know how to install the 2nd instance. If not, can anyone find a good way to do this?

2. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

There is no good reason to do this really. You will have problems because mySQL typically stores everything in /var/lib/mysql and the processes running might get confused trying to find two different spots IF you could get them defined. The /etc/my.cnf is where the mySQL settins are defined also so it would be difficult to seperate the different locations since that file is looked for by the mySQL startup.

That said you can run 4.1 with support for old passwords used in 4.0 and before. That should make it so most scripts are able to be run. The logic between 4.0 and 4.1 were not changed that much other than password support.

3. elgerva

elgerva Member

Has anyone had luck with this?

I find it particularly interesting, since I have some sites running, and then want to make a cron script that downloads everything from another server... including the databases, leaving the mirror functional. Then, I'd like the backuper not to use the same instance than the one handled by cPanel.

I don't have any control over the databases' names that will be downloaded from the second server.

I'm reading about it :D