The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

running email on a different server

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by SoftDux, Nov 11, 2008.

1. SoftDux

SoftDux Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi all,

Has anyone been succesful in setting up a seperate server to handle incoming & outgoing emails? I'd like to setup a spare server to handle all incoming emails, and run them through the spam filters before delivering the mail to the users mailboxes. Has anyone been able todo something like this?

I know with DotNetPanel this is very easy to setup, so I'm hoping to achieve the same with cPanel as well

2. SoftDux

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    does anyone know how todo this?

3. hartzcs

hartzcs Member

I'd like some info on this as well. I'm tired of all the constant.. and I mean constant.. hassles with trying to stay off crappy RBL's like the CBL and Outblaze. There has to be a better way than this mess. I would like to be able to send all mail through another e-mail gateway like a dedicated e-mail server that's better setup for spam filtering or even a 3rd party service if I so choose. Godaddy does this with all their mail. Some people don't like it, but it keeps people honest I think.

#3 hartzcs, Nov 20, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  4. nickp666

nickp666 Well-Known Member

It's fairly simple to do with the static_route driver and some ACL's in exim if you can spare the extra load for the recipient verify callouts.

I havent gone into detail due to the sheer amount of available options with the configuration, there are several different ways the same result can be achieved dependant on how you need it to work.

#4 nickp666, Nov 24, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  5. SoftDux

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well, I'm looking for a way where all new domains, and email addresses / passwords / quotas, etc gets setup on the new server automatically.

6. rhenderson

rhenderson Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We setup a "mail only server" a couple of years ago, look at some old posts, maybe search for Postfix. We used Postfix then relayed the mail to our main server. We rsynced the domain files from the main server to the Postfix Server then changed the MX's to make the Postfix server the main mail server but left the main server as a backup, so we got a spam scanner email machine plus backup email. I remembered we had to whitelist the Postfix server IP;s on the main box. We also used a VPS for the Postfix server.

We abandoned the server when we migrated and got a beefier server.

7. stdout

stdout Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Just a thought:
    * Setup another cPanel box and have only exim/spamd running on it.
    I say another cPanel box as it will preserve file structure and you get the neat /scripts.

Now constantly rsync all relevant user logins, email accounts, mail data over to the new box.
    We're talking alot of bandwidth usage, but may be worth your while - depending on your goals.

Relevant directories and files which come to mind: