The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

running j2se 1.4.2 and 1.5 side by side???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Snowman30, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Snowman30

Snowman30 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I have a clients application that demands Java 1.4.2 (developers havent updated it to 1.5 yet) but i see Tomcat has updated it to 1.5 is there a way to run both versions side by side and if so how?

Can anyone point me in the right direction on this?

2. asmar

asmar Well-Known Member

There is no such an option. Remember that cpanel is not designed as a J2EE application server in mind. You need to install a J2EE application server if you wanna offer advanced JAVA solutions.

Cheers

3. jsteel

jsteel Well-Known Member

You can do it; you just can't depend upon anything automated from cPanel to do it for you. Simply install both JDKs, configure all of the environment variables for both JDKs by giving them discernable names and then customize the startup scripts, connectors, etc. to reflect such so that you have multiple JVMs operating with 1.4.2 and with 1.5. If all that sounds greek to you; you may want to send them to a knowledgable Tomcat provider rather than burying yourself in a deep hole. Hosting Java is *not* like hosting PHP, ASP, or CGI. There is a great deal of knowledge and effort required to properly configure, support, maintain and monitor a Tomcat platform. If I could only tell you the number of providers on here running Tomcat who's implementations are so easily hackable (and cPanel is not to blame; it is the negligent provider that believes he/she is capable of running anything and everything if they can just "get it to work once").