The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running on 1 IP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eclipse2000, May 31, 2006.

1. eclipse2000

eclipse2000 Member

Hi Guys,

Bit of help if possible, i have a cpanel server setup at home on my home network, I get 1 statis ip address from my ISP and the server is running fine, i can access it from the internet on my statis ip address or through the hostname i have setup on it. Thats all fine.
    The problem im having is with nameservers, as i only have the one statis ip its proving to be a pain in the arse.

My external ip address from my ISP is 80.177.xxx.xxx and the server Ip address on my home network is 192.168.1.105

I have setup nameservfers on a domain name in 123's panel to both ns1 and ns2 to point towards my external ip address, Im stuck now about what to do at this end.

Any advise would be great.

Cheers

Dot

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

If ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com point to 80.177.xxx.xxx then that is where requests to ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com will be directed.

In order for those requests to be answered, the server at the destination IP would need to be running a nameserver.

Hence, enable the nameserver option in WHM. You'd then also need to add A records for ns1 and ns2 in the dns zone, on your server, for the domain to which ns1 and ns2 belong. I believe WHM prompts you to do this.

3. eclipse2000

eclipse2000 Member

Great, Thanks for your help.

When you say enter an A record for ns1 and ns2, what Ip address should it be, The ISP's fixed Ip 80.177.xxx.108 or the local Ip address of the network 192.168.1.105