The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running remote backup only, or mount a network drive?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by Paul Cullen, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Paul Cullen

Paul Cullen Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hey

Ive been running a server for approximately 2 years now. Unknown to me at the time as it was a rushed job (old server had gone down) this box cannot be upgraded, its a contract thing.

So im stuck with 1tb of space. I normally have 1 incremental backup running 3 times a week. This backup is then transferred to another storage VPS once a week for redundancy.

Im now running out of space entirely. I am up to 99% and deleting what i can as emails fill up and images are uploaded on sites. I need a solution to claim back the 460 odd gig of backup i have in the /backup directory.

My thoughts where i could just setup the backups to go to an s3 instance but apparently this isnt possible? Alternatively could i mount a network drive to /backup and backup to it as if it was local?

Any advice is appreciated thanks!

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    There is an option in Backup Configuration:
    If I understand you correctly, you really shouldn't be using the same drive for backups that you're using for your accounts. You might consider adding a second HDD to use for local backups and duplicate that over to an external storage like you're doing now, instead.

3. Paul Cullen

Paul Cullen Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

Hey

The drives are raid so they are fairly safe against corruption, also the backups are transferred to another server via scp every week. Unfortunately i cannot add another drive, the data centre will not allow me to make any hardware changes to this server. I need a creative solution.

Thanks!

4. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Changing this to compressed backups and twice a week would free up a little space I would think.

5. Paul Cullen

Paul Cullen Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes it would but it creates a new backup while the old one still exists thus the server runs out of space before it can complete.

6. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Well, you've got remote backups. You could manually kill all local backups easy enough, and then force a new backup to run with your new settings.

Wouldn't that get you going in the right direction?

7. Paul Cullen

Paul Cullen Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hey, could you explain your concept a little more? The remote backup copies the /backup directory to a remote server. I cannot seem to run remote only, the cpbackup creates a local version then transfers it.

8. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    That backup directory is on your local server and it has 3 main directories for the backups running right now, correct? Kill/remove the oldest directory/backup (Or all of them) to free up some space. Change your backup settings and force a new backup to run.

After a new backup is run, you'll know exactly how much space is used for a compressed backup. Can you fit 3 of those backups (<460GB that you mentioned) on the local drive going forward? If yes, change your backup settings again to run 3 times a week as before.

The easiest way to free up some space (at least 153GB) is to set your backups to twice a week instead of three, and delete the oldest set of backups.