Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Running remote backup only, or mount a network drive?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by Paul Cullen, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Paul Cullen

Paul Cullen Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hey

Ive been running a server for approximately 2 years now. Unknown to me at the time as it was a rushed job (old server had gone down) this box cannot be upgraded, its a contract thing.

So im stuck with 1tb of space. I normally have 1 incremental backup running 3 times a week. This backup is then transferred to another storage VPS once a week for redundancy.

Im now running out of space entirely. I am up to 99% and deleting what i can as emails fill up and images are uploaded on sites. I need a solution to claim back the 460 odd gig of backup i have in the /backup directory.

My thoughts where i could just setup the backups to go to an s3 instance but apparently this isnt possible? Alternatively could i mount a network drive to /backup and backup to it as if it was local?

Any advice is appreciated thanks!

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    There is an option in Backup Configuration:
    If I understand you correctly, you really shouldn't be using the same drive for backups that you're using for your accounts. You might consider adding a second HDD to use for local backups and duplicate that over to an external storage like you're doing now, instead.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Paul Cullen

Paul Cullen Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

Hey

The drives are raid so they are fairly safe against corruption, also the backups are transferred to another server via scp every week. Unfortunately i cannot add another drive, the data centre will not allow me to make any hardware changes to this server. I need a creative solution.

Thanks!

4. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Changing this to compressed backups and twice a week would free up a little space I would think.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Paul Cullen

Paul Cullen Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes it would but it creates a new backup while the old one still exists thus the server runs out of space before it can complete.

6. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Well, you've got remote backups. You could manually kill all local backups easy enough, and then force a new backup to run with your new settings.

Wouldn't that get you going in the right direction?

7. Paul Cullen

Paul Cullen Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hey, could you explain your concept a little more? The remote backup copies the /backup directory to a remote server. I cannot seem to run remote only, the cpbackup creates a local version then transfers it.

8. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    That backup directory is on your local server and it has 3 main directories for the backups running right now, correct? Kill/remove the oldest directory/backup (Or all of them) to free up some space. Change your backup settings and force a new backup to run.

After a new backup is run, you'll know exactly how much space is used for a compressed backup. Can you fit 3 of those backups (<460GB that you mentioned) on the local drive going forward? If yes, change your backup settings again to run 3 times a week as before.

The easiest way to free up some space (at least 153GB) is to set your backups to twice a week instead of three, and delete the oldest set of backups.