The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running /scripts/xferpoint after Express Transfer ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by silas_i, Jan 5, 2012.

1. silas_i

silas_i Member

Hi,

I found Express Transfer and try understand this tool for transfer accounts to another servers.

After migration i need run /scripts/xferpoint on old server, or this run auto ?

Whats the BIG diference to migrating account using express transfer and not use ?

Tks,

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Our documentation describes the process of what happens when selecting the Express Transfer option:

Copy Multiple Accounts/Packages from Another Server

You would not need to run /scripts/xferpoint yourself. The process to perform the actions of an Express Transfer are done by cPanel when you select that option in WHM's Transfers area.

3. silas_i

silas_i Member

Tks for your fast reply,

If i use DNS Cluster on my servers will be better to use Express Transfer or in this i do not use this method (Express Transfer) ?

if any email was sent after the express transfer and this email go do old server, only using rsync to copy this email to new server right ?

In Step 3 of the Express Transfer, documentations says the email routing is changed to new server, but after transfer my MX server still same like "domain.com.", is that correct ?

Regards,

4. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I cannot say if it would or wouldn't be better to use Express Transfer when transferring an account between DNS cluster members. If you do not use it, you'd still have people going to the old site due to caching, but the nameservers won't need to be changed.

You could use rsync to move emails from the old machine to the new machine, but I would suggest to ensure you are using the same mailserver on both machines (courier or dovecot are the available options).

The mail change for routing should mean it changes the domain to not be in /etc/localdomains any longer on the old machine but in /etc/remotedomains file. This would mean that emails to the old machine will not deliver.

5. tartan

tartan Member

Hello,

Anyway to revert that? I have transfered some accounts and since some of them has failed the transfer I want to revert them back to old server until I can figure out how to solve that, but when I changed dns back to old server the website are redirected to a move page and removing .htaccess does not help and when it does it is just web not emails.

I can't find anything on how to revert if a transfer fails, I wish there was a note to warn.

6. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Please submit a ticket for us to investigate why removing the .htaccess isn't sufficient. Please post the ticket number here after you've opened one.

You can open up a ticket in WHM > Support Center > Contact cPanel or using the link in my signature.

Thanks!