The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running the website in a Staged Environment

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by firemagician, Dec 31, 2014.

1. firemagician

firemagician Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi, so, the company I started working in wants me to change the layout/overall design of their website and they gave me access to the cPanel of the website; and I can tell that the developers used wordpress.

But before I do that, of course, I need to set up a back-up where I can do experiments or at least be able to have a rollback option.

The problem is, there is no backup button here:

/http://i.imgur.com/vOZooYt.png

Also, even if I downloaded the files manually, how can I run the website on my own computer?
    I've exported the database and it's over 80MB and importing only allows around 10mb.

I use xampp apache and WindowsXP 32-bit (cause other computers not available)

Ultimately, I want to run the whole website in my PC

Please help provide me some insights it would be very much appreciated :)

2. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    re: Running the website in a Staged Environment

Your hosting provider has disable backup options for your account and due to that it's not showing in your cPanel.

And regarding xampp, You will have to increase your post_max_size and upload_max_filesize in php.ini file on your local pc so that xampp will able to import your large database

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    re: Running the website in a Staged Environment

Hello :)

Some users prefer to setup a development version of their website by creating an Addon domain name in cPanel or by creating a separate cPanel account. It's an alternative to consider if you prefer to avoid setting up a web server on your personal computer.

Thank you.