Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Rysnc - Does it have a Depth or Character Limit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lloyd_tennison, Oct 27, 2005.

1. lloyd_tennison

lloyd_tennison Well-Known Member

When I rsync on my own machine I have no problems with how long directories and file names are. But when I use it for backup with ssh - it seems to bomb out with long names. Is this a limitation of Rsync, ssh or a combo - or a different version of rsync on the remote server?

Both linux.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Not something that I've come across. That said, are you using compression with rsync (-z), I've seen many a problem caused by using it and if you are, you could try taking out that switch and seeing if it then works.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lloyd_tennison

lloyd_tennison Well-Known Member

No. no "z". It works fine when i do it from directory to directory on my own server - but when I do it accross to another it errors and says permission denied to create the directory several levels down -all when it has created all the ones leading to that directory.

Weird - that is why I rhought I would ask.

Maybe ssh - problem as I use rsync in ssh with the "-e ssh" options.